Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by devils_casper this is Ubuntu 6.06 only. did you install Ubuntu from same installation CD? boot up from CD and execute 'uname -a'. compare it with the output ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    this is Ubuntu 6.06 only. did you install Ubuntu from same installation CD?
    boot up from CD and execute 'uname -a'. compare it with the output of installed version.
    do you have internet connection?

Casper
    Yes, I used this same CD to install Linux, but I don't believe I can boot up from it...it is an install CD and not a live CD?
    And yes I am connected to the Internet and have Googled "build-essential" but didn't find what I thought I should...or didn't know what I should be looking for??

And yes I am connected to the Internet and have Googled "build-essential" but didn't find what I thought I should...or didn't know what I should be looking for?
    install build-essential package through Synaptic. it will resolve all dependency issues. machine must be connected to internet.
    open Synaptic and click on Reload button. search 'build-essential' using search button and install it.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    install build-essential package through Synaptic. it will resolve all dependency issues. machine must be connected to internet.
    open Synaptic and click on Reload button. search 'build-essential' using search button and install it.

Casper
    Oh, OH, you've left me behind. I don't know what Synaptic is??
    It isn't anything that shows up under Applications or Systems on the Desktop?

Synaptic is a Package Manager of Ubuntu. its in System menu.
    apt-get has command line interface and Synaptic has GUI.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by spruce_capital
    Oh, OH, you've left me behind. I don't know what Synaptic is??
    It isn't anything that shows up under Applications or Systems on the Desktop?
    I think I figured that out, just went to terminal and typed synaptic, but got an error in that it is in Read Only mode cause I'm not logged in as root, tried logging in as root, bu I haven't a clue what the password is?????
    Guess I have to figure that out first, right?

Just Joined!
    I think I figured that out, just went to terminal and typed synaptic, but got an error in that it is in Read Only mode cause I'm not logged in as root, tried logging in as root, bu I haven't a clue what the password is?????
    Guess I have to figure that out first, right?
    I'm probably beginning to try your patience...sorry
    I was logged in as myself on my son's computer, so I logged in as him..and now I see Synaptic under systems, so I will try what you suggested.

Thanks,
    Norm

press Alt+F2 and type 'gksudo synaptic'. enter password of user that you have created during installation.

Just Joined!
    I'm probably beginning to try your patience...sorry
    I was logged in as myself on my son's computer, so I logged in as him..and now I see Synaptic under systems, so I will try what you suggested.

Thanks,
    Norm
    Synaptic Package Manager gave me essentially the same error as before?

build-essential:
    Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed or
    libc-dev
    Depends: g++ but it is not going to be installed

when you perform a "Reload", does it through any error message, broken packages message?
    post the sources.list here.
    Code:
    less /etc/apt/sources.list

Just Joined!
    when you perform a "Reload", does it through any error message, broken packages message?
    post the sources.list here.
    Code:
    less /etc/apt/sources.list
    I'm not sure I know what you wanted here?
    If I open Synaptic Package Manager and simply press "Reload", there is no error message. If I select "build-essentials" and "Mark for Installation" I get a window that says "Mark additional required changes" with this in it:
    To be Removed
    libc-dev
    To Be installed
    cpp
    dpkg-dev
    gcc
    linux-kernal-headers
    make
    Now at this point I used Synaptic and removed "libc-dev" and then tried to install "build-essential" again but then it said to remove "linux-libc-????".
    So I did and then installedall of the above "To be installed" items and then tried to install "build-essential" again but I ended up with a window that said "Could not mark all packages for installation or upgrade" with this in it.
    build-essential:
    Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed or
    libc-dev
    Depends: g++ but it is not going to be installed

If I run "less /etc/apt/sources.list" in a terminal window, I get:
    deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 6.06.1 _Dapper Drake_ - Release i386 (20060807.1)]/ dapper main restricted
    -
    -
    A blank page with (END) at the bottom of it.

Hope this is what you wanted and helps???
    Thanks,
    Norm

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast