Hi:

Many installation instructions advise the installer to produce a boot disk. But not all distros allow that. Using floppies is not as common practice than that once used to be. In the case of new installations however it can save a lot of headaches. What even further complicates the situation is that the believed rescue options fail to deliver.

I do not like to destroy what works, rather prefer to extend its scope. But this cautious approach led to a situation that I have completed the first phase of two installations neither of which can be restarted now.

One of them is openSUSE 10.2. Based on some loosely-worded advises on installing multiple Linux distros on one drive, and using lilo to boot them just has not worked out. The used lilo.cnf is listed below. Executing /sbin/lilo resulted in skiping the last entry, i.e., the newly installed system.
(Please note that on the first IDE controller /dev/hda is the CDROM, and /dev/hdb is the DVD unit; /dev/hdc, the first hard drive is master on the secondary IDE controller.)

### LILO configuration file

### Global Section START
append="enableapic vga=0x0317"
boot=/dev/hdc
linear
vga=normal
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=Wg:kw:Wg:Wg
read-only
prompt
timeout=200
### Global Section END

### Windows_and_DOS START
other=/dev/hdc1
label=Win_n_DOS
loader=/boot/chain.b
table=/dev/hdc
### Windows_and_DOS END

### SuSE_old kernel-2433 START
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2433
label=SuSE_old-2433
root=/dev/hdc2
optional
### SuSE_old kernel-2433 END

### SuSE_old_orig START
image=/boot/vmlinuz.orig
label=SuSE_old_orig
root=/dev/hdc2
optional
### SuSE_old_orig END

### openSUSE-10.2 Linux START
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=openSUSE-10.2
root=/dev/hdc17
optional
### openSuSE-10.2 Linux END

The second system is FreeBSD located in the forth primary partition. Supposedly it should be booted though the fixit.flp floppy using the correct

n1 and n2 in the n1:ad(n2,a)/kernel command.

But, no matter what I use, it replies with "invalid label". Also lilo should be able to handle it, but I have not been able to find any specific example for it.

If anyone having closer familiarity with the subject has any specific advice to resolve either case, or could point to an article on lilo that deals with cases involving two Linux systems located in two different directories, and/or has a specific description of booting a FreeBSD system I would greatly appreciate it. lalurus