Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm installing RedHat 9 linux now and it's about .033 seconds to finnish and 51 MG (33 packages) remaining for the installation using the 3 CD and I receive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Help Installing RedHat 9 Linux

Hello,

I'm installing RedHat 9 linux now and it's about .033 seconds to finnish and 51 MG (33 packages) remaining for the installation using the 3 CD and I receive the following message:
    The Package XFree86-doc-4.3.0-2 cannot be opened. The CD is probably bad.
    It hangs and does nothing. It seems like during my transfer, my CD has been some how damage.
    I am connected to the internet though. Is there some thing I can do right now to salvage this installation?
    Is there a way to download this package online and complete the installation? What do I need to do now.
    I would really much appreciate any help in this regard.

First, I'd recommend you get a newer version of Linux. Redhat 9 is several years old and you're less likely to encounter bugs with something more recent. If you're particular to distributions based on Redhat, there are a couple of options: Fedora Core 6 and CentOS.

As for your particular problem, how did you acquire your Redhat 9 disc? If you downloaded the disc image, make sure you always verify the checksum of the ISO file before you burn it to disc. Checksum files are usually provided in the same FTP directory where you downloaded the ISO. Sometimes they're called MD5Sum or in Fedora's case SHA1SUM.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Help Installing RedHat 9 Linux

Thanks for your rejoinder. Yes I have had these CDs for some time now. The reason I want to install RedHat 9 is because I have been having problems with FC6 lately. I want to install oracle in it but it is not posible in FC6. My installation hangs and there is no where I could check for any help.

Do you know any other version with a HOWTO install oracle in it tutorial?
    Thanks

Install CentOS, then use the RedHat guides. CentOS is almost a clone of the latest RHEL
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Paddyman
    The reason I want to install RedHat 9 is because I have been having problems with FC6 lately. I want to install oracle in it but it is not posible in FC6. My installation hangs and there is no where I could check for any help.
    Here is a good one about installing Oracle on CentOS/RHEL :
    http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Or...LINUX_12.shtml

Instead of RedHat 9, try the latest CentOS.

RedHat 9 has officialy reached end-of-life :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...ux-distro.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    How do I check if the ISO files downloaded for CentOS4x is not currupt? I think there should be a way to check this before burning it on CD correct? Please could some one tell me how to do this?
    Thank you

Example:
    Code:
    [hector@troy ~]$ md5sum some-image-file.iso 
    d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e  some-image-file.iso
    [hector@troy ~]$ sha1sum some-image-file.iso 
    da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709  some-image-file.iso
    Compare that with the md5 or sha1 sums provided at the download mirror. (Usually it's an ascii text file called CKSUM, MD5SUM, SHA1SUM or something to that effect.)

Just Joined!
    I am downloading from this site:
    There is no CHSUM file. Where can I get this file? Please for help. I have been in this delimer for almost 2 weeks. Fist trying to install oracle9i into FC6. It didn't work and then RedHat 9Linux, got a trouble with the installation CD an now CentOS. I just hope I would be able to successfully install oracle9i into CENTOS4.4x
    Thanks for any help.

go straight to the source of centos centos.org

ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/centos/4.4/isos/i386/

md5 is listed with the files.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557