Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Linux Techowizards: I thought I would garner advice from my fav linux forum before I proceeded. I just decided to do an intermediate upgrade on my computer, got a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot XP/Fedora 6 on SATA Drive

Hello Linux Techowizards:

I thought I would garner advice from my fav linux forum before I proceeded. I just decided to do an intermediate upgrade on my computer, got a newer mb, processor and a brand new 500 Gig SATA hd. I am also going to use some older Ultra ATA's I still have on the current computer. I want to just upgrade the hardware a bit but keep my dual boot XP/Fedora Core 6 system which works just fine right now.

I got a hold of ASUS tech on the phone and they advised me that if I want to install XP ona SATA drive, I need to first keep my IDE hd's unplugged and that will force Win XP to install on the SATA drive instead of on the primary master IDE. After I get XP Pro installed and running, I want to use Norton Partiton Magic to set up some Linux partitions...and then install Fedora Core 6. I was told that I will have to make a copy of the nvidia Nforce 4 SATA driver from the motherboard disk to a floppy and make it available to XP install program in order to install XP onto the SATA drive.

With no prior experience on SATA drives, I thought I had better get some advice here on installing Fedora Core 6 onto the SATA drive as well. I don't need a controller card because the new mb support 4 SATA hd's native to the board.

*Do I need some kind of special driver for the SATA for Anaconda installer to see and work with the SATA like XP needs? What has been your experience if you attempted to install Fedora 4,5 or 6 on a SATA (SATA1 on my motherboard) drive?

*What problems should I be looking for according to your experience with doing something like this?

*It's a Maxtor 500 Gig SATA hd

*My config will be 2 Gig DDR 333, AMD64 3800 single core, ASUS A8N32-SLI Delux mb, SATA1 (boot harddisk), IDE0 Primary and slave UltraATA hd, around 200 Gig, IDE1 primary UtraATA hd 200 gig, IDE1 slave, DVD reader/writer.

As you can see, I have no probem with hd capacity, so its just a matter of where I can best put things to make them work right...

My second option is to use one of the other IDE hd's to install linux but GRUB will still need to boot off the SATA drive I presume because XP will be booting off the SATA drive...any problems you know of doing it this way?

*I also will have a pretty new Sapphire (ATI) X1600XT PCI Express graphics card...has anyone had any trouble with this in linux?

THanks bunch's for your advice...jimmyCfivertwo

Linux Newbie

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jimc52

*What problems should I be looking for according to your experience with doing something like this?

*It's a Maxtor 500 Gig SATA hd

*My config will be 2 Gig DDR 333, AMD64 3800 single core, ASUS A8N32-SLI Delux mb, SATA1 (boot harddisk), IDE0 Primary and slave UltraATA hd, around 200 Gig, IDE1 primary UtraATA hd 200 gig, IDE1 slave, DVD reader/writer.

As you can see, I have no probem with hd capacity, so its just a matter of where I can best put things to make them work right...

My second option is to use one of the other IDE hd's to install linux but GRUB will still need to boot off the SATA drive I presume because XP will be booting off the SATA drive...any problems you know of doing it this way?

*I also will have a pretty new Sapphire (ATI) X1600XT PCI Express graphics card...has anyone had any trouble with this in linux?

THanks bunch's for your advice...jimmyCfivertwo
    Finally, I've come across someone who gives a good amount of detail! Thanks!

Well saying as Linux completely owns MS Windows I would say that it will automatically support your SATA drive. I will be installing Linux on my SATA drive once I get my graphics card and memory (if I can get some money that is!) so this thread is very beneficial. I would just have the single SATA drive in your PC for installation, it seems that you have quite alot of HD's and its a little confusing trying to understand them

Also, I would be inclined to create a partition during the Windows XP setup and then use Norton to format the partition so it supports Linux (in case XP throws up some weird error regarding the partition).
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)