Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by Oxygen Remember, you need to create 2 partitions, one for Kubuntu (ext3) and one for Swap space. I have to do that only if I dual boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen
    Remember, you need to create 2 partitions, one for Kubuntu (ext3) and one for Swap space.
    I have to do that only if I dual boot because that part is the hard part I have not a clue what to do their. If I don't dual boot I don't need to do that right. I still ain't sure if I still want to use windows xp I am getting kinda tired of it.

boot up from Kubuntu LiveCD. look for 'QtParted' in Menu. shrink Windows Partitions. leave unpartitioned/free space. 6-10GB is OK rest depends on usage. click on Install icon. installation will begin and select 'unpartitioned/free' space in partition section.
    thats all... installer will create/format partitions for you.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188
    Does partition manager gives you option of NTFS resizing?
    It does indeed. Take a look at http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    It does indeed. Take a look at http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php
    oh thanks....I remember that when I was installing FC4 I couldnt do that...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    boot up from Kubuntu LiveCD. look for 'QtParted' in Menu. shrink Windows Partitions. leave unpartitioned/free space. 6-10GB is OK rest depends on usage. click on Install icon. installation will begin and select 'unpartitioned/free' space in partition section.
    thats all... installer will create/format partitions for you.
    Nice I am going and try it out tomorrow I will let ya all know how it goes.

Just Joined!
    Ok sorry to bump I am about to install Kubuntu now and I want to make sure I know what I am doing here. I don't think I want to keep windows it is getting me annoyed so with that in mine all I need to do is erase partition and thats it. It will put in the ext3 and root thing for me right.

yes. if you want ot remove WIndows and install Kubuntu only, start Kubuntu installation and select 'Use all disk space' in Partition Section. Installer will remove all partitions and create new for Kubuntu.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    yes. if you want ot remove WIndows and install Kubuntu only, start Kubuntu installation and select 'Use all disk space' in Partition Section. Installer will remove all partitions and create new for Kubuntu.
    Nice sounds simple enough thanks. So basically it is just pressing next and continuing.

yeah !
    Good Luck !

Just Joined!
    Ok I installed it up and running but I have a few questions. First I updated all the porgrams that had to be updated and also how do you change the screen resolution it used my screens native screen view which is too small. Thanks so much I am loving it so far. I used Linux a while back and it seems to have gotten much better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast