Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
i couldn't find a post directly addressing my question, so: I have 1 hard drive with windows XP pro installed on it and i am going to install slackware 9.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Two hard drives... some questions

i couldn't find a post directly addressing my question, so:

I have 1 hard drive with windows XP pro installed on it and i am going to install slackware 9.1 on another hard drive (both hdd's are 40gb each) and i am also going to install the boot partition on the linux hard drive and use GRUB as my boot loader. I am wondering if i have to set one hard drive as master and the other as slave, and which one to master(would it be the drive with the boot loader)? or would i need to set both hdd's as master because they will never be used both at the same time?

then for my BIOS boot sequence i would have:

1st: FLOPPY
    2nd: HDD (with the boot loader on it)
    3rd: CD ROM

would this work?

thanks

Linux Engineer
    the master/slave jumpers have to do with the way the IDE bus sees the hdd's.. not how they boot... the first hdd on your ide bus is the primary master, the second is the primary slave. the third ide device is the secondary master and the fourth is the secondary slave.

you will want to put GRUB on the MBR of the primary master.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    the master/slave jumpers have to do with the way the IDE bus sees the hdd's.. not how they boot... the first hdd on your ide bus is the primary master, the second is the primary slave. the third ide device is the secondary master and the fourth is the secondary slave.
    i never said the jumpers affected how the hdd's boot, but thanks for your answer. its all clear now

Quote Originally Posted by ICeMaN
    i never said the jumpers affected how the hdd's boot, but thanks for your answer. its all clear now
    Or you can change the boot order in your BIOS. It's much easier than cracking open your case to change cables and jumpers.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Or you can change the boot order in your BIOS. It's much easier than cracking open your case to change cables and jumpers.
    i have to install the other hdd anyway, ordered it earlier today so i will just change the jumpers, thanks for reply

also can i update KDE 3.1.4 on slackware 9.1 to KDE 3.2? how can i do this?

Linux Engineer
    i think you may need to manually update all of the programs that make up kde.. unless slack has an auto-update program that can update them all for you...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    i think you may need to manually update all of the programs that make up kde.. unless slack has an auto-update program that can update them all for you...
    would SYNAPTIC do that?

Linux Engineer
    dunno.. i haven't used slack.. i found gentoo and haven't looked at other distros since...

would SYNAPTIC do that?
    It should. From what I hear, it's a decent package manager. :P
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    when i used redhat 8 i used apt-get to update my system, this ended up causing various problems with my hardware devices (mainly my USB cable modem and my sound card). I hope synaptic doesn't cause these upon performing a system update

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast