Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I recently installed VMWare virtualisation software and tried a few distributions. I have decided to install Ubuntu on the virtual drive. My only worry is that in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Mal
    Just Joined!

Virtual Drive linux installation

Hi there,
    I recently installed VMWare virtualisation software and tried a few distributions. I have decided to install Ubuntu on the virtual drive. My only worry is that in the installation process it says "Erase entire disk - (hda) 10.7GB VMWare IDE drive" or something along those lines. I want to be sure that this won't effect my 'real' hda which has windows XP pro on it (since I am required to use that for University and therefore obviously cannot damage it).
    I realise that this 'hda' is probably referring to its own 'hda' and cannot see, nor knows anything about the XP section of my real hard drive. I just want to be sure before I go ahead with the installation.

Many thanks,
    Michael.

^^ You are correct in assuming that nothing will happen to your "real" hard drive. Only the virtual one will be erased.
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

Just Joined!

VMWare virtualisation

Quote Originally Posted by Mal
    Hi there,
    I recently installed VMWare virtualisation software and tried a few distributions. I have decided to install Ubuntu on the virtual drive. My only worry is that in the installation process it says "Erase entire disk - (hda) 10.7GB VMWare IDE drive" or something along those lines. I want to be sure that this won't effect my 'real' hda which has windows XP pro on it (since I am required to use that for University and therefore obviously cannot damage it).
    I realise that this 'hda' is probably referring to its own 'hda' and cannot see, nor knows anything about the XP section of my real hard drive. I just want to be sure before I go ahead with the installation.

Many thanks,
    Michael.
    If this is your first installation on a virtual machine, feel free to 'erase' the virtual drive as it does nothing to the host at all.

That said, it is a good idea (if you have room on your host drive) to create multiple virtual machines and drives. In this way you can install and test multiple OS and versions and compare them side by side, even (with enough memory on your system) in windows running concurrently on different virtual machines. I run Alpha and Beta versions of SUSE along with Fedora and occasionally even run an old copy of Win XP and even DOS, all while enjoying the protection and stability of my host OS (SUSE 10.2 currently) and often switch between old and new versions of programs to see how it handles situations with the knowledge that it can't hurt my 'real' computer and even damage to my virtual machine can be restored from a snapshot vmware provides prior to the start of tests I run. So, consider not erasing your virtual drives each time you install new OS's but create new virtual drives, install the new OS, test it and when happy THEN if you want to, erase the old virtual machine files from the host to recover the space, and if the new OS or programs are junk, you have lost nothing but the time it took to find out it was junk, but not your original virtual machine and its files. I use VMWare Server to test everything, it's free and legal so the price is right and I've not yet found anything it won't run (though I suppose if I try hard enough I will eventually <grin>). If you want to run it commercially though, you'll have to license it but you can test it first with VMWare Server.