Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I am writing this to inform others and also in hopes that someone can tell me what is going on. I apologize if it's a bit long. You can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Something truly bizarre

Hello. I am writing this to inform others and also in hopes that someone can tell me what is going on. I apologize if it's a bit long. You can just skip to the bottom to get the gist.

I bought a computer with vista preinstalled. From my ubuntu live cd, I resized the vista partition with gparted then installed ubuntu in the free space. Ubuntu worked fine but vista would no longer boot (and it wasn't just a matter of correctly configuring grub). Even putting in the vista reinstallation cd did nothing, just a blank screen. A smart guy on linux forums suggested I stick in my mom's xp reinstallation cd, select repair mode, and then type fixmbr. I tried this, but to enter repair mode required an administrator password and I wasn't able to enter repair mode. I took out the xp cd and tried once more to boot vista normally, and it worked!

I later had problems getting my wireless adapter to work with ubuntu and somehow ended up messing it up so that ubuntu would no longer boot. So I decided to start from scratch and reinstall ubuntu from the live cd, and in the process I decided to change my partitions up and resize the vista partition, again with gparted. After doing this the exact same thing happened: vista would no longer boot and the vista reinstallation cd didn't work. So I put in the xp reinstallation cd, attempted to enter repair mode, was denied, and then rebooted into vista no problem.

Since this happened twice, I don't think it's a coincidence. So I conclude:
    1. Resizing a vista partition with gparted makes it unbootable
    2. Attempting to enter repair mode with the xp reinstallation cd (though never actually entering it) repairs whatever damage is done by gparted and allows vista to boot.

Anyone know what's going on here?

hi lwpack,

MicroSoft has changed Partition Management in Vista.
    Vista has two copies of Partition Table and it compare both before every boot up. Gparted changes Partition Table stored in MBR only. on boot up, Vista finds two different copies of Partition Table and hangs.
    Windows XP 'repair' mode fixes other copy ( how? i am researching on it ) and Vista boots up again.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Interesting. Why is it that the vista installation cd doesn't work? Other live cd's work, ubuntu for example.

Just Joined!
    Also, is there a way to resolve this problem without using the xp cd? I doubt most people who come across this problem are going to have access to an xp cd.

in a few machines even Windows XP Installation CD doesn't work. it displays Blank Screen during Hardware Configuration check.
    Installation CDs read MBR of harddisk and GRUB is stored there only. Windows Installation DVD/CD doesn't understand GRUB code and display blank screen.
    these disks dont throw any error message and thats the way Windows works.

EDIT:
    Also, is there a way to resolve this problem without using the xp cd? I doubt most people who come across this problem are going to have access to an xp cd.
    a lot of other options like SuperGRUB CD, Rescue CD, bootable CD created through Nero or any Windows based CD burner software and Windows 98 Bootable Floppy.
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-15-2007 at 06:38 PM.

Just Joined!
    Good to know. This seems like something that everyone should know (especially newbies, like me). I imagine there's a lot people out there trying to install vista/linux dual boots and they need to know that gparted will render vista unbootable. Is there windows partition software one can use that won't mess with vista?

i dont know. i will search for Windows based partition manager. i am not Windows user anymore and dont know about latest Windows based partition manager packages. check if latest version of Partition Magic supports Vista.