Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi! You say two entries for two kernels... But how can two kernels be there? I installed one OS only. ...and yes, Win XP is booting normally now, after I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question yes....

Hi!

You say two entries for two kernels...
    But how can two kernels be there? I installed one OS only.
    ...and yes, Win XP is booting normally now, after I changed the boot priority to HDD.
    (I googled a bit and found that this xen thing (I am new...) has something to do with virtual machines..)

Casper, apart from what is happening, I am really interested in knowing 'how' and 'why' is it happening. Could you please explain what had happened?
    Initially linux was not getting installed but when I installed using " linux=acpi "
    it worked. but then both linux and windows dissapeared, I installed linux again and this time windows was not booting properly, I re-installed linux and next I find that nothing was there!

I then just to recover windows inserted Windows installation CD and while doing rescue gave the 'fixmbr' command and this made me log into Windows, but since then whenever I wanted to log into either windows or linux I had to insert Win XP CD otherwise GRUB will get stuck!
    This I did untill I changed the boot priority in the BIOS and now everything is fine, only I have replaced FC6 with FC3.

please give me your views....

take care
    tuxeedo

You say two entries for two kernels...
    But how can two kernels be there? I installed one OS only.
    i think you have selected 'Virtualization' during installation. you can have as many kernels as you want. every kernel upgarde adds new kernel and entry in GRUB menu. you should use latest kernel only.
    Casper, apart from what is happening, I am really interested in knowing 'how' and 'why' is it happening. Could you please explain what had happened?
    Initially linux was not getting installed but when I installed using " linux=acpi "
    it worked. but then both linux and windows dissapeared, I installed linux again and this time windows was not booting properly, I re-installed linux and next I find that nothing was there!

I then just to recover windows inserted Windows installation CD and while doing rescue gave the 'fixmbr' command and this made me log into Windows, but since then whenever I wanted to log into either windows or linux I had to insert Win XP CD otherwise GRUB will get stuck!
    This I did untill I changed the boot priority in the BIOS and now everything is fine, only I have replaced FC6 with FC3.

please give me your views....
    as i mentioned earlier, GRUB's working depends on a lot of factors. check ACPI details here.
    i suggest you to search Forums for GRUB problems. you will learn a lot from there.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2