Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everybody, I have just installed FC 6 on my PC which already has Win XP(all NTFS) on one HDD(primary master). The HDD which I have alloted to Linux is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation GRUB not showing the graphical boot screen at normal boot

Hello everybody,

I have just installed FC 6 on my PC which already has Win XP(all NTFS) on one HDD(primary master).
    The HDD which I have alloted to Linux is Primary slave.

Earlier I was getting this error code(EIP 00000060 c04002b1 000002b0) while beginning installation(just after you press enter to begin installation).
    I googled and found that this could be solved by adding
    linux acpi=off noacpi
    This enabled me to install linux but then I could not boot into either into Windows or into Linux. It showed 'Operating System Error'
    I reinstalled FC 6 with the MBR on /dev/hda1.

However, now when I start my PC it shows the following message instead of the GRUB menu:-

"
    [Mini BASH-like editing is supported. For the first word.............. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename]

grub>

"

However when I insert the Windows XP CD and don't choose to boot through the CD, it shows 'loading GRUB stage 2......' and displays the GRUB graphical screen.

Now everytime I want to log into either Windows or Linux I have to insert the Win XP CD.
    What could be the reason for this problem, please advice me on how to solve.
    I am a beginner to linux and am very interested in learning the intricacies inherent.

with best wishes
    Tuxeedo

hi tuxeedo,

Welcome to the Linux Forums.

GRUB creates a lot of Problems if you install it in MBR of harddisk that hasn't Linux installed. is it possible for you to swap harddisks? could you plug-in Linux Harddisk as Primay Master?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Smile I want to know the reason for the error

Hello

I appreciate your suggestion and I will definitely try it. However, I have just started with Linux(in fact today only) and I want to learn, if I quit this approach then I choose to loose an opportunity to know something.

I think you got my point, I am willing to get my hands dirty but I want to become a master in linux.

Can you suggest me a way out of the current scenario....????

with best wishes

Tuxeedo

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ^^^ casper is going to suggest making the drive with linux on it the master and windows the slave and then reinstalling grub to the MBR of the master drive. That should fix all of your problems.
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

GRUB's working depends on a lot of factors such as BIOS, Harddisk type ( SATA or PATA ) and Harddisk's status ( Primary/Secondary ). type 'GRUB' in Search Box and read threads to get an idea.

if you can plug-in Linux Harddisk as Primary Master then there are two ways to fix this problem. you have to remove GRUB from MBR of Windows Harddisk in both ways.
    Plug-in Linux Disk as Primary and Windows disk as Secondary.
    * edit grub.conf and device.map files and reinstall GRUB in MBR of Linux Harddisk.
    OR
    * re-install Linux. if Linux Disk is plugged in as Primary during installation, installer will install GRUB in MBR of Linux disk and setup dual boot correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by tech_man
    ^^^ casper is going to suggest making the drive with linux on it the master and windows the slave and then reinstalling grub to the MBR of the master drive. That should fix all of your problems.
    correct.
    i have read a lot of your posts tech_man. believe me or not but i have learned a lot from you too.

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    correct.
    i have read a lot of your posts tech_man. believe me or not but i have learned a lot from you too.
    I have learned a ton from you as well
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

Just Joined!

Wink I'll try this guys

Good morning guys...

I just woke up (... and guess what? I am breathing casper! )

I'll do that buddy and get back here with what I got...

yours
    Tuxeedo

Just Joined!

I got the usual GRUB screen but...

Hi...!!!

I changed the boot priority in BIOS and made it to HDD (The one with Windows installed and MBR).

This showed me the correct boot screen with GRUB. However it showed 3 entries this time, even though I have just 2 OS installed(Win XP and FC6)....

Fedora Core 6 (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen)
    Fedora Core 6-up (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6)
    Windows XP SP2

The GRUB automatically loaded using the first option, which showed an interrupt error.
    However, the second entry for FC6 is working fine.

I want to know what is the first option?
    What is it's significance...?
    Please help....

two entries for two kernels. first entry is for xen kernel and check here for its details.
    you can remove this entry from GRUB Menu. log in as root and open /boot/grub/grub.conf file.
    put # sign before title, root, kernel and initrd lines of 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen.

is WIndows booting up correctly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast