Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Originally Posted by devils_casper if Monitor is unreadable in Windows too, its not Ubuntu or software problem. try pressing Alt+Ctrl+F1 key. does it change anything? Could I ask what Alt ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    if Monitor is unreadable in Windows too, its not Ubuntu or software problem.
    try pressing Alt+Ctrl+F1 key. does it change anything?
    Could I ask what Alt + Ctrl + F1 does?

Tim
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Wright
    Could I ask what Alt + Ctrl + F1 does?
    it will drop you at command line terminal. there are 6 terminals by default. from F1 to F6 for command line and F7 is for GUI.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Does that work on Windows as well or jus for Linux? You couldn't have said that at a better time because my monitor doesn't like to boot Linux into its GUI!!

Tim

Does that work on Windows as well or jus for Linux?
    its for Linux only.
    You couldn't have said that at a better time because my monitor doesn't like to boot Linux into its GUI!!
    install any Linux distro in 'text mode'. its very easy to fix graphics after installation.

Linux Newbie
    If you knew how much hope thats given me you'd give yourself a medal While I'm in a Linux mode I might as well take the opportunity to ask a couple more questions if thats ok?

1. Is it possible to get a distro that just installs to a hard disk and doesn't have Live Cd functionality?

2. I usually get the error "passed an unidentified video mode error" or something similar. How do I find how many verticle and horizontal rows and colums my monitor has? Is there a web service to find this?

Thanks,

Tim

1. Is it possible to get a distro that just installs to a hard disk and doesn't have Live Cd functionality?
    all popular distros have both type of Installation CDs.
    Ubuntu/Kubunut/Xubuntu Alternate CD has text based installer only and it doesn't work like LiveCD. Fedora, SuSe, Slackware Installation CDs dont have Live Boot option. iirc, Fedora released LiveCD first time last year only.

2. I usually get the error "passed an unidentified video mode error" or something similar. How do I find how many verticle and horizontal rows and colums my monitor has? Is there a web service to find this?
    check your Lappy Manufacturer Website. AFAIK, there isn't any web service to figure out this.
    i suggest you to install in text mode. graphics configuration tool of all distros are pretty good these days. i am sure we can fix the problem.

* i am moving posts and going to start a new thread in Installation Forum.
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-17-2007 at 11:53 AM.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Casper,

I did have some luck with a Knoppix Live CD (the lastest one.) It passed the same error but when I hit spacebar it managed to boot into a perfect GUI (other distros just gave me a blank, black screen). Do you know how I can steal the settings it used to confugure my monitor with?

The monitor is a Fujitsu c772 it that helps? Its around 4 - 5 years old

Thanks,

Tim

thats good. copy its /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Graphics is configured by xorg.conf file only and you can use its settings ( HorizSync, VertiRefresh rates, resolutions and Video Driver ) in other distro.

Linux Newbie
    Class, thanks man!

Tim

Linux Newbie
    1 More question lol. Are you sure that I will be able to copy the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from a Live CD?

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast