Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need a linux install walkthrough

Okay, here's the scoop. Today, my mom bought an old machine for about $40. It came with no operating system, so I thought it would be a fine time for my to install Linux for the first time. Problem is, I have no idea where to start. I am hoping that one of the wonderful people in this forum can give me a walkthrough of what to do to get this comp up and running. Here are the basic specs:

This computer (the one I am working on right now). I figure you should know this in case the movement of the Linux OS is different based on what computer you first download it to. My guess is that I will download it here, then use some sort of install CD to get it on the other computer, which has no OS at all.
    iMac G5 1.8 GHz PowerPC
    OS 10.4.8 (Tiger)
    1 GB SDRAM

The computer I am installing Linux on:
    4 GB HardDrive (ugh...)
    350 MHz Processor (ugh...)
    64 MB RAM (ugh...)
    Availible Ethernet Port (not sure if this is important or not, so might as well include it)

I also have an 300 GB external HD that I can use as well if needed. Communicates via USB 2.0.

I would also like your opinion as to which version of Linux I should install. It will primarily be used as a school computer, for writing papers and doing other school related stuff. Obviously not for gaming...

If someone out there could please explain to me what I have to do to get this thing up and running, I would be eternally grateful. I hope I can provide more information if it's needed. Thank you very much.

arch linux
    Welcome to the forums, quartekoen!

Take a look at the link in my signature for lots of information on getting started with Linux. Once you've picked one or more distros to try, post a new thread if you should run into any problems.

Have fun at Linux Forums...