Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Friends, I earlier had Redhat Linux 9 on my system and it worked fine without giving any problem. I tried to upgrade it to RHEL and installation encountered a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem during Linux Installation

Hi Friends,

I earlier had Redhat Linux 9 on my system and it worked fine without giving any problem. I tried to upgrade it to RHEL and installation encountered a problem.(Even tried with Fedora core)

I tried the fresh installation, every thing seemed fine and the installation of packages started, but the installation stopped midway throwing below error.

"There was an error installing <package name> this can indicate media failure,lack of disk space and/ hardware problems. This is a fatal error and your installation will be aborted. Please verify your media and try installing again.
    Press ok to reboot the system"

I tried installing again and the installation completed almost 80% and error message appeared, this time showing different package name.<Package name>. Every time I try it throws error for different package. First I thought the problem is with the Installation CD, but my friend installed with the same CD without any error on his system. I allocated 6 GB for Linux and 512 MB for swap. The installation just need 1.2 GB as i am installing only in the text mode and included only the development packages(with other required minimum packages). So disk space won't be a problem.Even I tried installing from the hard disk where I pointed the installation to the ISO images in my system. Same error encountered again. Now the system has grub in text mode. what would be the possible cause of error.

Is their any commands which I can use to boot my windows os from the text mode grub?

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
    Raghu

boot up from Fedora Installation CD/DVD and execute 'linux rescue' at boot: prompt. this will drop you at shell prompt. execute 'fdisk -l' command and post output here.

Is their any commands which I can use to boot my windows os from the text mode grub?
    two ways... either execute command at grub> prompt
    Code:
    rootnoverify(hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    OR
    remove GRUB.
    boot up from Windows Installation CD and select 'repair'. execute 'fixmbr'. WIndows will boot up on reboot.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your prompt reply.

I will follow your instructons and update you.

Regards

Just Joined!
    I now formated whole disk and set aside 40 GB to Linux. Still installation encountering the same error.
    output of the fdisk -l >

Disk /dev/hda:40 GB , 40017485312 bytes.

255 heads,63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders.

Units= Cylinders of 16065 * 512 =8225280 bytes.

Device boot start End Blocks ID system
    /dev/hda1 * 1 4589 36861111 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 4590 4865 2216970 82 Linux swap

I found below error in the syslog.
    (During installation ctrl+alt+(+f3+f4) opened new terminal which showed progress of install process( also bash terminal (Ctl+atl+f2))

error 2 reading header: cpio: Bad magic
    Unable to load NLS charset utf8
    ISO 9660 extensions:RRIP_1991A
    Unable to identify CD-ROM format.

These error indicate that their is something wrong with the CD-ROM, (but it is working fine in windows, I could read and copy the data from CD-ROM in windows).

Or Is their any wrong with my hard disk? Friend of mine told me that, bad sectors in harddisk may cause the problem. As per him, process may throw error when it tries to write to a corrupted block of memory. He is not sure, but it is his guess.I did check my harddisk with the memtest86 commnad during installation, it listed quite a few bad sectors but, not all mem space are corrupted. Any suggestions on this.

Any other way to try the installation of the Linux.
    I tried installting from the harddisk( linux askmethod) but it also encountred same error. ( I kept the ISO images of the cd in my windows partition).

Thanks & Regards

you have to fix bad sectors first. either use utility provided by your harddisk's manufacturer OR try UBCD.

Just Joined!
    Hi Casper,

Sorry for the late reply. I checked the hard disk with the tools available with in the UBCD, it didn't report any error/or bad sectors. But still not able to install fully the Linux. However after several try I was able to install RHEL( Fedora core 3 installation is failing so tried RHEL 4) in text mode with minimum option, without development utilities and kernel source. I needed gcc and some other utilities to compile and install new kernel.

Is their any way to install graphic mode related rpm packages, which allows me to use either GNOME or KDE desktop environment.
    In graphic mode I can manually select the required package and install but I guess the option is not available in text mode installation. I tried the upgrade option available during the installation(with the same version RHEL4) upgrade which just tried to upgrade currently installed packages, it didn't provide any option to choose new package.

Is their any option to install packages(rpm)( in text mode) which installs a package and its dependent package.

Any suggestion highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Finally I solved the problem. I installed all the packages required using
    rpm -ivh --aid <package name> . rpm with --aid option installs all the dependent packages. I could also use up2date command.

Thanks for your help.

Thaks & Regards

Well Done !
    glad to help you....