Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have 3 partitions on my hard disk.. one of them having Win XP Pro, other one having Linux Redhat 7.3 and third partition is FAT32 for file transfer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Redhat 7.3 Uninstall

Hello,

I have 3 partitions on my hard disk.. one of them having Win XP Pro, other one having Linux Redhat 7.3 and third partition is FAT32 for file transfer between the windows and linux partitions.
    I would like to uninstall linux.. and format it as NTFS so that I can use it with windows.
    Can anyone guide me on how can I do this?
    My computer is Toshiba Satellite 1405-S151 laptop.

Thanks,

wow you have the exact same laptop with the exact same set up as i have on my laptop but anyway you cant say uninstall linux you have to completely delete the partition like you partition magic in windows and go in and remove the partition and then remake it into a ntfs partition and that should work or any partition tool will work for that matter good luck.

p.s. can i ask why you want to get rid of linux anyway ?
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for info. Good to know that you too have the same setup.
    I have had problems with Redhat 7.2.. like I cant use NIC/Wireless Card or even modem. Thats the reason why I am removing it... for now. I plan to install Redhat 9 by the end of this summer.

Right now, I dont have any tools like partition magic etc. for deleting the linux partition. Is there any free tool available online, which I can use for this purpose?
    One of my friends suggested me to boot the laptop with Win XP installation CD and then format the linux partition. I am not sure whether it will work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

i mite work to do the windows installation disk but im not sure. give it ago i guess. o and to let you know your nic will work with redhat 9 i have used redhat 9 and it worked fine. i dont know about the modem and i dont have a wireless network so i havent tryed putting a wireless card in and seeing how it works. but good luck and i will see if i can find a way to get rid of that partition as i am at work right now and shouldnt even be posting on forums but i will get back to you tomorrow if someone else hasnt
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Newbie
    Hi,
    Make sure you have made a backup!
    Then boot into Linux.
    As root run fdisk-

#fdisk /dev/hdxx

You now what is xx

then just change the Linux partition's id from 83 to 0b (i think its 0b for fat32)
    with the "t" option.
    reboot into windows and it should ask you whether to format the partition.

bye.
    You are the one Linux!

Linux Newbie
    You did not have a swap partition ?
    If you have/had just merge them using fdisk itself.
    Remember once you reboot, your linux partition is gone but not yet formatted!
    You are the one Linux!