Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I'm Debbie and I am quite new to Linux. I have Redhat 9 on my spare HD and I am getting around fairly well and I hardly ever ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SuSE 9.1 Bootloader Question ? (Newbie Alert)

Hi everyone,
    I'm Debbie and I am quite new to Linux. I have Redhat 9 on my spare HD and I am getting around fairly well and I hardly ever go into windoze anymore ( Hooray ! ) but I am wanting to try SuSE9.1

I have a question about the installation as far as the options for a bootloader. Is there the option given of NOT installing a bootloader and making a boot floppy instead to start SuSE ?
    Redhat gives this option and I rather like this being that I am still new and learning.

Thanks so much for your help

Deb

I really am tickled that I am surfing and posting from Linux
    Lots to learn though ..............fun!

Linux Newbie
    Hi,
    One of the good options i use (Atleast with Windows+ Redhat)
    Is that i install Grub on the "First sector of root partition" and then boot it.
    I use XOSL.
    You can try this with suze.(i have never tried suze but.).
    Regards,
    Anand.
    You are the one Linux!

don't be frightened of Grub (read the tutorial secitions in this forum). It's easy to put on (as Anand says) and to take off.

If Suse doesn't offer the make boot disk option during install (not tried Suse myself) then try putting Grub on initalially, then do a "mkbootdisk" to create your boot floppy, then get rid of grub (again see the tutorial section).

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Hey , thanks so much for the advise. I knew that sooner or later I was going to have to learn how to use a bootloader. I was just hoping for later. But I may as well jump in with both feet do to speak , and I cant learn stuff if I don't try it. Besides I do have my important stuff backed up on CD's so if all else fails I can just start over.

Will let you know how it goes and thanks again

Deb