Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi... im new to linux.. i just installed redhat linux 7.0 on a P III 128 mb ram 40 gb hard disk machine. It rests on a dedicated partition ext2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie Help: only 64Mb of 128Mb memory detected by linux

Hi... im new to linux.. i just installed redhat linux 7.0 on a P III 128 mb ram 40 gb hard disk machine. It rests on a dedicated partition ext2 formatted and runs x windows. but whenever i look under process management in kde i find only 64 mb. the /etc/meminfo fiole also says only 64 mb physical memory.
    i have 2 SDRAM chips each of 64 MB. I parallel boot nder windows 200 server and here all 128 mb is detected. my kernel version is 2.2.1-16 on i686 ( or so i think!!).

i think this is why my linux os is very sluggish and takes long to process, even hangs up...

please help me out...

Linux Guru
    2.2.1? That can't be... please check again. (Hint: run uname -r)

Just Joined!

Sorry.. my mistake..

sorry.. the kernel version is 2.2.16-22 on i686 i hope this is correct. Is this a common problem, all of memory not being detected. i use an intel 810 mother board and all my other devices are working including onborad sound and display. Windows has no problem seeing this memory .. even bios tests shows 128 mb.. so im sure that my memory is working fine.

Linux Guru
    It is a known problem, as far as I know, but I wouldn't think it would show up on such recent machines. Try booting the kernel with "mem=128M" as an extra parameter. Or try upgrading to a 2.4 kernel (which you should do anyway...) from http://www.kernel.org/.

Just Joined!
    this may seem real dumb of me but...

i have tried the mem=128M option in LiLO.conf

doesnt seem to work

i visited kernels.org and all i find are patches. is that what i need or should i download the whole kernel
    if so how do i find the whole kernel
    and how do i update my kernel..
    im sorry i never done this before. if this is taking a lot ur time then could u redirect me to any doccuments online that may help...

Linux Engineer
    Code:
    rpm -Uvh ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/8.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/kernel-2.4.18-14.i686.rpm
    That should put the latest kernel on your box.

Just Joined!
    gee thatks.. but its a 13Mb download.. this is gonna cost my dad dearly.. ( im still on a phone line connection, cant help it ! ) so are u guys sure its my kernel tht is causing this.. or maybe something else can do it?

anyways thanx for ur help..
    dont worry ill run into more trouble soon and i know where i an find help

Linux Enthusiast
    go to a university and download/burn a newer distribution (RedHat 8.0 is out). They sometimes have anonymous access. If not, ask someone there. They are usually really cool about helping people out. Bother the people that look like they have been there a while, or someone that is just reading email or something. Don't bother the people that are actually trying to do hard work though, they get angry easily (trust me).
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Engineer
    You can also order a distro for a few dollars from www.cheapbytes.com

Just Joined!
    thanx all.. i think i have just blown up my system.. pls help me on my next thread..