Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone I have been using this forum for a few months now and like many people I wanted to access the net through ADSL. Unfortunately my DSL modem (Inetl ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

ADSL on Linux Success

Hi Everyone

I have been using this forum for a few months now and like many people I wanted to access the net through ADSL. Unfortunately my DSL modem (Inetl Anypoint DSL 3240) was not linux compatible or at least I couldn't work out how to get it up and running.

I dual boot with XP and use that for the net.

However, I have just bought a DrayTek Vigor2200usb router/switch which plugs into my modem via USB and the plugs into my hub via an ethernet cable. I did need to upload the modem drivers to the router through XP but I am now on the net in Linux.

I bought it @ dslwarehouse.co.uk or something like that for £112.

Very easy to set up. Just thought I'd post this as a simple answer to adsl with Linux for those others of you who just can't get it working. Unfortunately I will be back to XP on Monday coz I'm gonna install this in the office. But I will be getting one for myself.

Cheers

Kris
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Guru
    Now that's an interesting solution. I'd never imagine that there would be USB modem capable routers. I wonder how it works.

Linux User

Dunno

Dunno how it works technically but it has two usb ports and a four port ethernet switch / router. With uplink capability on one rj45 port.

It has an upgradable ROM chipset which you must upload your driver and synchronisation/config file to via TFTP. through a wizard.

The config software is really clever. I plugged my XP PC into the router and then ran the config wizard. It aked my to connect and disconnect the USB and ADSL phone cables to the modem one at a time and monitored what XP did. It then generated an appropriate config file which I saved and uploaded. Very smart!

It is really nice to see driver software which works. After having loads of experience with ISPs producing very dubious windows based driver/software which need a bucket load of ram and rarely work.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hi,

i have a similar problem, i am useing a slackware 10.2 os and a have a ethernet modem (tp-link 8610), the modem si configured and it's working, but now the modem user manual say that i need a dialer to activate the connection, i tried kppp but kppp needs a number to dial, and my adsl connection has no dial nr, just user and pass, anyone knows a adsl dialer for linux? a have a few dialers but they are for windows.