Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok i just finished installing gentoo and gnome my only complaint is im haveing trouble getting my usb optical mouse to work in it. it works fine in windows xp ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gnome + Gentoo + usb Optical Mouse

ok i just finished installing gentoo and gnome my only complaint is im haveing trouble getting my usb optical mouse to work in it. it works fine in windows xp and the livecd but in gentoo the light is not on and it dont work. ive gone through the tuts here on the forum regarding mice

Protocol "PS/2" or "auto" or "IMPS/2" or "usb" or "IntelliMouse"

PS/2 means a ps2 mouse. Always try this first. You can also try setting it to "auto" which is most often supported. For USB-mice, you may want to set it to "IMPS/2" or "usb". For IntelliMice, use "IntelliMouse" For more options, check /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.mouse

Device "/dev/mouse" or "dev/psaux" or ...
    but it doesnt help at all. im thinking i compiled the kernel wrong in the live cd which is why i posted it here instead of the hardware (if im wrong plz correct me) if someone here could tell me how to get my usb ports going in gentoo or if there is something else i need to do that would be most helpfull.

thanks

Linux Newbie
    Like I said in the tutorial....

make sure you include the following in your kernel:
    usbcore
    hid
    uhci-hcd

if that doesn't help or if you already did that, then post back

/ooop

Just Joined!
    ok i did as u sugested but i couldnt find the usbcore thing in the make menuconfig. i went on anyway since ive looked through the entire thing several times n just figured it isnt there in the 2.6.5 version and too no suprise ive got the same simptoms.

if you could tell me where the usbcore thing is i would be eternaly grateful

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    It should be under Device Drivers/USB Support or something like that.

Also, make sure you don't use those as your devices for a USB mouse, those are PS/2 specific (i believe) try usb like the tutorial showed

Just Joined!
    i went through it again and couldnt find it.
    am i saposed to do the usbcore thing as a seperate modual install?
    or is the name of the option in the menuconfig "usbcore" or is it something that should be recognised as that n im just not getting it? or am i just blind?

Just Joined!
    I am taking a look at menuconfig right now...

hmm, odd I don't see those things exactly either, but I would just verify you have some of the things within the "USB SUPPORT" section checked in. I usually build it in, maybe you do it as modules? not sure in that case.

Linux User
    Try running:
    Code:
    modprobe usbcore
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    it accepted the modprobe command in the livecd but i ran a emerge --pretend usbcore command just to be sure its available for the system but it said there were no maksed or unmaksed ebuilds to satisfy usbcore

Linux Newbie
    Well, you cant do 'emerge usbcore' because usbcore isn't a package.
    Sadly, I have forgotten what it is called in menuconfig.
    But it is some very basic USB-part of the kernel...

I'm surfing winblasphemy right now,
    but as soon as I enter the Linux part of my box again,
    I will check it out for ya.

In the meanwhile, do not despair =)
    Problems are meant to be solved.

/ooop

Just Joined!
    i dunno if this is releven or not (this is more of a post for people who might have this problem in the future but...) i found this thing on the gentoo website...

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml

A USB mouse is your friend on a high resolution screen. The kernel takes care of the scaling so you don't have to move your mouse five times across the pad to make it across the screen.

Note: When configuring the Input Core support for the mouse, make sure to enter the screen resolution that you will be using in X. This makes the scaling all pretty and correct.

Now, unplug the mouse, and plug it back in, and check your kernel log for a message that looks something like this:

Code Listing 2.6: Kernel Message

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
    input0,hiddev0: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical] on usb1:2.0

Now that the mouse is detected, check /dev/input to make sure that your mouse is there and working.

Code Listing 2.7: Checking for USB Mouse

# cd /dev/input
    # cat mice
    Move your mouse when you cat the device, you should see a lot
    of garbage. To exit, simply press control-C.
    ...wow big quote... if some one could tell me how to get to the kernel log and if ooop could post back with the usbcore thing i think we can get this problem licked.

Thanks for all the help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast