Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
omg i need some serious help. im a noob so plz bear with me when i installed linux there was the part about the partitions i selected delete all partitions. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Omg I Need Help Plz!!!

omg i need some serious help. im a noob so plz bear with me when i installed linux there was the part about the partitions i selected delete all partitions. now i cant boot windows xp .ive read many articles about recovering the partitions and to tell you the truth i didnt understand a single one. i really want windows xp bak can sum one plz give me steps to get windows bak, that i can understand. PLZ I CANT FIGURE HOW TO WORK LINUX!!!

sjmavs2006@yahoo.com

has Linux been installed in your machine? if you have stopped installation in between, at what stage did you stop it?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by sjmavs
    ... i selected delete all partitions. now i cant boot windows xp ...
    I don't want to be all negative or anything, but if you deleted all partitions, then I would guess that everything (including Windows XP) that you had on those partitions is now gone as well.

Did you format new partitions, or did you just trash the old ones? If you formatted new ones, then your data is gone (sorry), but if you just got rid of the old ones, then you may be able to rebuild your partition table. That doesn't sound like an easy task, so, unless there's some data that you haven't backed up, I would suggest a reinstall of XP (or linux).

Sorry for the bad news.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    well how do i kno if i formatted the partitions? i just selected the delete all partions option. (yes linux is installed properly). i dont think i formatted anything

You kinda answered your own question there - if you deleted all partitions then you most likely created and formatted new Linux partitions over them. In that case you don't have an XP install anymore.

There are tools for recovering partitions but bare in mind they are costly and not guaranteed effective especially if you have created a new partition over it.

Just Joined!
    but cant i just use the windows xp cd and re install it as i did with linux?

Just Joined!
    wouldnt that just solve the problem?

you can re-install Windows XP anytime but that will not recover your data.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    oh i can!? thats awsome i really dont care about the data i just want to be able to use windows. so to do that all i need is the cd? because my pc didnt come with an xp cd

Just Joined!
    neither did my mothers laptop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast