Find the answer to your Linux question:
It seems that whatever OS I try to install on this one certain computer (IBM ThinkCentre (I've tried other Linux distro's on other same computers around me, I know it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Corrupt computer?

It seems that whatever OS I try to install on this one certain computer (IBM ThinkCentre (I've tried other Linux distro's on other same computers around me, I know it's not a compadibility issue)), nothing can install because of kernal panics.

Even Windows won't start on this thing - it tells me to put in the XP CD and press "R" for a repair... But I don't have a XP CD on me, and this is a school computer (bear in mind I have permission to screw around with these computers so don't think your helping a culprit here) - I would have no idea where they (tech center) would keep any Windows CD.

No kernal of any kind can sync or work with this computer. It's weird.

I've let the computer sit here for a week (Spring Break) running a memory test - it's still running the tests for some reason and has a lot of errors (total number of errors as I type: 999,981,056 and counting)...

So what could be the faulty piece of hardware here? RAM, hard drive, CPU... I don't know where to start with this thing...

if you run a ram test and it gets error that tells you the ram is bad. also windows will lockup on the install when there is a bad stick. Linux will get through the install but have problems booting.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557