Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I would like to reduce the root filesystem size down to 200MB. It should have very basic GNOME desktop. I am using Fedora core 2. I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    foo
    Just Joined!

Reduce the root filesystem size down to 200MB

Hi guys,

I would like to reduce the root filesystem size down to 200MB. It should have very basic GNOME desktop. I am using Fedora core 2.

I want to use RPM to remove the package I don't need. The problem I have is the package dependence. Is there a way to get the package dependence tree of Fedora core 2?

Or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Get apt-get then Synaptic. That will remove all the dependancies with the package if you want. Pretty slick.

Just Joined!
    Honestly, I don't know if 200 mb's would be possible with Fedora, or any RPM based distro, it just doesn't seem feasable. Why do you want to make it so small btw?

foo
    Just Joined!
    Thank you, Mikey, I am trying to use Synaptic. I don't know how far I could get.

For dswain:
    I am trying to put the root filesystem onto a flashdisk, that's about 256MB.
    Thanks

Just Joined!
    wow thats very tight. Well, yeah synaptic would probably be the first thing to try. If that doesn't work, you could look up what packages are nessisary for Fedora to run and then copy them onto it within 256mb's