Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently rung windows xp on my entire hd. When I try to use the utility in mandrake 10, I get the error "Decice has bad sectors , not supported ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Error when I try to resize my ntfs system.

I currently rung windows xp on my entire hd. When I try to use the utility in mandrake 10, I get the error "Decice has bad sectors , not supported yet:"

anyone know what this means?

Just Joined!
    I am not positive, but for a long long time NTFS has not been supported wtih Linux. Though it does have read/write support in the 2.6 kernel, not sure if MDK uses that by default. I would recommend using a 3rd party piece to resize it (something like Partition Magic and then install and ajust if needbe.

Linux Enthusiast
    First of all, you shouldn't try to resize your NTFS partition unless you're using Partion Magic and you defragged the drive first. Otherwise you can say goodbye to the NTFS partition.

PS:
    The 2.6 kernel has built-in NTFS read/write support?
    How do I enable it????

Just Joined!
    Warning Do not i repeat do not resize ntfs with mandrake there is a bug that hoses your windows partition if you want to resize it use qtparted which is available in knoppix. As for write support you can either modprobe ntfs or build it into your kenrel however LINUX CAN ONLY OVERWRITE AN NTFS PARITION DO NOT ATTEMPT TO JUST write to it you will destroy the ntfs partition because ntfs is a journaled file system and does not play nice with others.

Just Joined!
    this is very true. I attempted to modify many NTFS partitions with MDK without luck. As I stated before, go for something like Partition Magic (Win) or qtparted (Linux)