Find the answer to your Linux question:
IF I format my hd and reinstall windows xp does it allow me to customize the partition. I like to make it about 20gigs and do somethign else with the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating partition using windows xp install

IF I format my hd and reinstall windows xp does it allow me to customize the partition. I like to make it about 20gigs and do somethign else with the other partitions.

I think this will be the best way of installing linux on a seperate partition.

Linux Guru
    i dont think it does, but ive never actually installed XP before, only older versions of windows before i saw the light

Even if it doesnt allow you to, you can use tools such as partition magic to resize (shrink) your NTFS partitions as needed to free up space to install linux.

Jason

Linux User
    Before formatting your drive, use the DOS version of fdisk to partition it as you see fit - i.e. 20GB for Windows, the rest for Linux (hopefully more than about 6GB).

Then format that first 20GB in preparation for the XP install. Once Windows is operational, you can add Linux to the other partition. Check out our tutorial on dual booting for more info.

Good luck
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein