Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone please tell me the procedure to install truecrypt4.3 on fedora system? plz......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Truecrypt on fedora

Can anyone please tell me the procedure to install truecrypt4.3 on fedora system? plz...

Just Joined!

Installing TrueCrypt on Fedora 7

Fedora 7, all of the following assume you are user “root”

(1) Make sure you have the kernel source installed. Which source? Run "rpm -q -a" I'll call it's output $VERSION in this example. If the source is installed you may see it as I do under “/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.21/vanilla”
    (2) If source is not installed, you can install it as follows:
    (a)rpm -ivh http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/7/Fedora/source/SRPMS/$VERSION.src.rpm
    (b) In my case the command was: rpm -ivh http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rel...94.fc7.src.rpm
    (3) Run the build command. I ran the following. The .spec file might be different if you're not running Fedora 7
    (a) rpmbuild -bp –target=noarch /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec
    (b) It may tell you you need to install some other dependencies. If so, then (if running KDE) run System->Add/Remove Software and find the packages and install them. If you don't have “rpmbuild” then you may have to hunt around for it. I think I installed some of the development tools to get it when I first installed from the Fedora live CD.
    (4) Download the .tar.gz file from TrueCrypt:
    (a) TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows Vista/XP/2000 and Linux - Downloads
    (5) Run "tar -zxvf" on the file in some directory.
    (6) CD into the directory created and then the "Linux" directory.
    (7) Edit "build.sh" to set KERNEL_SOURCE=/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.21/vanilla or wherever your source installed to.
    ( Run "build.sh", and when asked: "Configure kernel source according to system configuration?" I answered "y" for yes.
    (9) Run "install.sh"
    (10) Run "modprobe truecrypt" If you get an error, you can try "modprobe -f truecrypt" That worked for me, but it's not how I'd like to do it. And you'll have to do that before you use truecrypt every time. If you don't get an error, the module is supposed to load into the kernel on demand, i.e. the first time you run “truecrypt.”
    Last edited by hondaguy; 07-17-2007 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Add Title