Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello friends, I am new to the boards, the world of Linux, and the realm of power computing. I just recently installed CRUX Linux after 3days of turmoil and learning ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie request: Howto Run Programs in Linux

Hello friends,

I am new to the boards, the world of Linux, and the realm of power computing. I just recently installed CRUX Linux after 3days of turmoil and learning the hard way.

Believe me it is challenging, but at the same time fun. I have actually learnt a lot about Linux, but I have a hell lot more to learn.

I'm embarrased to say this, but I don't know how to run programs in Linux, that is through shell console. I tried to run several programs like Lilo, mozilla and several others but to no avail.

What do I need to type at the command prompt or shell prompt to get most programs up and running? In Dos, if I'm not mistaken, you simply type the programs name (usually an .exe file) and press enter. In linux, I have no idea.

And I swear, I've have done my fair share of browsing the lenght and width of the internet. So if anyone could provide me with the command to run most programs at the shell prompt, I will be extremely grateful. Hey, at least I know how to open and edit files using 'vi' and 'vim'. Detailed and simple instructions,including examples, will be welcomed.

I apologize in advance for my incoherent babblings.

Thanks in advance

Linux Guru
    What you're saying is correct, you should just type the program's name and press enter. In what way doesn't it work? Are you typing lower-case letters?

Just Joined!
    Err...let me try it without capital letters. I;ll also try to include the version numbers. Hey, and thanks for your response.

Linux Engineer
    The problem could be that the programs you are trying to run is not in your path. "echo $PATH" will show your current path and any programs in those directories you will be able to run without providing the path to the binary. You can add new directories to your path by typing "export PATH=$PATH:/new/directory". I suggest adding that line to your .bashrc file in your home dir so your path is set everytime you login. Or you can make the changes universal to all users by eding the PATH entries in /etc/profile.

Linux Guru
    Remember that very few parts of a UNIX system are case-independent. You'll have to type the command with the correct case, though some commands do include uppercase characters.