Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Hello, I am new to linux installation. I tried to install the SUSE linux9.3 on my new PC with ASUS p5VDCMX mother board. The initial sysmtoms like unable to recognise ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2

    SUSE 9.3 install failed on ASUS motherboard


    Hello,

    I am new to linux installation. I tried to install the SUSE linux9.3 on my new PC with ASUS p5VDCMX mother board. The initial sysmtoms like unable to recognise the CD_ROM came through & I loaded the ide-generic module. It went ahead with the installation. I performed the steps recommended in the below url http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~mohitz/tech/suse.php. I added the ide-generic & did mkinitrd with no parameters. I do not know what exactly the parameters that I have to pass. I gave the path to mkinitrd as /. The mkinitrd went through fine. But after this when I rebooted linux it just failed to come up. It is unable to recognise the root file system which I had given it during the installation. Any help in this regard would be great.

    Thanks,
    Rajeev.
    Last edited by devils casper; 04-19-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: posts moved and started a new thread

  2. #2
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    52
    Hi,

    Have u updated the grub configuration file with the new initrd file.
    mkinitrd will create a new initrd file which contains the driver for your hard disks.

    --Regards,
    rajesh

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2
    Hello Rajesh,

    Can you kindly elobrate the procedure to update the grub & configuring with the mkinitrd command. Or can you suggest me a better version of linux which can overcome the mother board problem. I tried to flash ubuntu 6.01.1, but it does not recognise the root file system.

    -thanks,
    Rajeev

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Engineer valemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Volos
    Posts
    934
    Try installing openSuSE 10.2 and see what happens
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

  6. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by valemon View Post
    Try installing openSuSE 10.2 and see what happens
    I don't think it will work as i'm facing same problem with an ASUS A7V8X which uses VIA Chipset VT8377 and VT8235 Southbridge PCI to ISA Bridge.

    I can't install anything more recent that SUSE 9.1 since it's a bug in the kernel.The VIA82cxxx bug.
    I've read several situations like this but i'm a bit desperate since i have no idea how to solve it. And i wouldn't like to buy a new PC just to use linux.
    Is there any way to contact the guys responsible for the kernel and ask them to fix this issue?

    cheers

  7. #6
    Super Moderator devils casper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chandigarh, India
    Posts
    24,729
    Quote Originally Posted by mestrini View Post
    I don't think it will work as i'm facing same problem with an ASUS A7V8X which uses VIA Chipset VT8377 and VT8235 Southbridge PCI to ISA Bridge.

    I can't install anything more recent that SUSE 9.1 since it's a bug in the kernel.The VIA82cxxx bug.
    I've read several situations like this but i'm a bit desperate since i have no idea how to solve it. And i wouldn't like to buy a new PC just to use linux.
    Is there any way to contact the guys responsible for the kernel and ask them to fix this issue?

    cheers
    what error message installer throws? where does it hang?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

  8. #7
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by mestrini View Post
    I can't install anything more recent that SUSE 9.1 since it's a bug in the kernel.The VIA82cxxx bug.
    I don't follow your logic here. If there's a bug in the kernel, wouldn't using a newer version have more of a chance of working, since the bug could have been fixed in newer versions?

    I've not had any issues with my ASUS K8V-X, which (if I remember correctly) uses a similar VIA chipset. I'm able to install the latest openSuSE 10.2 on it. How many newer distributions have you tried?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  9. #8
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    I don't follow your logic here. If there's a bug in the kernel, wouldn't using a newer version have more of a chance of working, since the bug could have been fixed in newer versions?

    I've not had any issues with my ASUS K8V-X, which (if I remember correctly) uses a similar VIA chipset. I'm able to install the latest openSuSE 10.2 on it. How many newer distributions have you tried?
    I have tried a lot of distros: Suse 10.2, Ubunto 6.10, Kubunto 6.10, Ubunto 7, Mandriva One, Kurumin, Debian 4, Fedora Core 6, Caixa Mágica 11.

    I don't know if one can call it a bug in the real term since the VIAARENA site reports the missing information about recent chipsets in the drivers files of the kernel.

    Check the Kernel patch they advise
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=4#1009

    There are lots Linux distributions in the world nowadays. Many of them do not support newer VIA South Cridge chips, such as VT8237A, VT8251, and CX700/M. Unsupported South Bridge chips might cause the system not to boot or to only run in PIO mode. This is because the kernel does not recognize the IDE controllers. This document describes how to manually patch the kernel source to enable DMA mode in VIA’s South Bridge chips.
    Other bug report sites mention a hanging problem when trying to enable DMA mode for the CD drive.

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....15/+bug/56823

    Suse 10.2 hangs after displaying the message about the drivers: VIA82cxxx
    Other distro like Ubunto (and related) can't detect the CD drive when loading the hardware drivers.

    But hey, i'm a complete noob as far as Linux is concerned

    tx for the replies

    mestrini

  10. #9
    Super Moderator devils casper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chandigarh, India
    Posts
    24,729
    boot installation CD/DVD, highlight "Installation" title and type 'all-ide-generic'. press Enter key.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

  11. #10
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    boot installation CD/DVD, highlight "Installation" title and type 'all-ide-generic'. press Enter key.
    nope, that didn't work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •