Find the answer to your Linux question:
How exactly do i completely remove GRUB, all of it, every trace, destroy it .?. I'm having trouble installing ubuntu 7.04 ....ect ect. Any way i wiped my spare hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GRUB removal

How exactly do i completely remove GRUB, all of it, every trace, destroy it.?.

I'm having trouble installing ubuntu 7.04 ....ect ect. Any way i wiped my spare hard drive, the one i use for linux distros, (on purpose by the way). But now when ever i try to load the computer i get a GRUB error and thus i cannot get into my windows xp hard drive.

So..... how do i remove every trace of GRUB, and where exactly is it located? and is it on a hard drive or is it somehow in my memory or whatever?
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

GRUB is located in MBR of Harddisk. MBR contains Partition Table, Boot Loader ( GRUB or Windows boot loader ) and Harddisk Signatures.
    'm having trouble installing ubuntu 7.04 ....ect ect. Any way i wiped my spare hard drive, the one i use for linux distros, (on purpose by the way). But now when ever i try to load the computer i get a GRUB error and thus i cannot get into my windows xp hard drive.
    boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD, open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=521 count=1
    in case your harddisk is SATA, replace hda with sda.
    'dd' command will *wipe* your harddisk including Partition Table and GRUB.

if you want to remove GRUB only, boot up from Windows Installation CD, select 'repair' and exeucte 'fixmbr'.

*moving this thread to Installation Forum.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

OK, thank. and sorry for putting it on the wrong forum
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close