Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok. Here's the situation. I have been successfully running a dual harddrive, dual OS system for about a year. On my sda1, (hd0,0) I have Windows XP installed. On sda2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Windows + Linux

Ok. Here's the situation. I have been successfully running a dual harddrive, dual OS system for about a year. On my sda1, (hd0,0) I have Windows XP installed. On sda2 (hd1,0) I have Linux installed. I recently installed a second instance of windows XP to my first hard drive (sda2/ (hd0,1)), and am ready to upgrade it to Vista. My problem is, when I boot either hd0,0 in GRUB or hd0,1, I get the Windows boot menu. When I try hiding hd0,0 when I boot the hd0,1 entry, I get "NTLDR Missing".

So my question to you is, is there any way that I can directly boot XP or Vista without needing to go through a second boot menu? I am willing to move partitions around if its necessary.

Oh, Almost forgot, I tried using the map command so the default would be the correct one, but for some reason it didn't work.

Here are my partition tables:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 32.3kB 125GB 125GB primary ntfs boot
    2 125GB 251GB 126GB primary ntfs hidden

And on the second:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 32.3kB 250GB 250GB primary ext3 boot
    2 250GB 251GB 995MB primary linux-swap

So my question to you is, is there any way that I can directly boot XP or Vista without needing to go through a second boot menu? I am willing to move partitions around if its necessary.
    its not possible. GRUB doesn't handle boot.ini file(s) directly. it passes control to Windows Boot Loader on selecting any Windows title in GRUB Menu.
    post the contents of grub.conf file.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First