Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Currently I have openSuse on my second hard drive. I never used it. I want to put Ubuntu on their instead. How do I get rid of opensuse? Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Switching

Currently I have openSuse on my second hard drive. I never used it. I want to put Ubuntu on their instead. How do I get rid of opensuse?

Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    You can install the distro of your choice right over opensuse using the same partitions.
    oz

Just Joined!
    When I press F2 or F12 I get the opensuse screen where you have to type camands. I do not know what to type. I want to get rid of open suse so I can get ubuntu

Sorry, total newb here.

oz
    forum.guy
    You don't have to remove opensuse before installing the new distro.

Just make sure your machine can boot from CD/DVD, put the new distro disk into the drive, reboot, then install the new distro using the same partitions that held opensuse. The new distro will format the opensuse partitions before installing the new distro.
    oz

Just Joined!
    OK, my BIOS was set up to boot on HD so I switched it to disk. I got the ubuntu install screen but when I click install I get an error after is loads.

[######] Buffer I/0 error on device fd0, logical block 0
    ## are actual numbers

I used the first method here to burn the ISO image.

I used both disks the 64bit AMD and Intel computers and the Standard personal computer. Which one should I use?
    http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9703/deletets2.gif

Thank you very much for your help.

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't know anything about that howto, but here's another HowTo that has worked for many members here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...nstall-cd.html

I personally recommend using 32bit vs 64bit, but it's your choice:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...bit-linux.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your help.

OK, my disks worked fine. I just had to wait a couple minutes for it to load after the error message. I got it up and runing but now I am stuck on the partitions. I want to partition my whole drive. I get an error when I use manual (no root directory) and I get an error when I do the automatic when I do the install.

BTW, I want Linux on my second HD, XP on the first.

Do you have a link for suggested partitions for Ubuntu (with two HDs)?

i would suggest you to unplug Windows Harddisk and plug-in Second harddisk as Primary Master. in Partition Section, either select 'use whole disk space' or go for Manual Partitioning. delete all existing partitions. create 512MB SWAP partition and 10 GB / (root) partition.

its easy to setup dual boot after installation. install Ubuntu and post back here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Ok, it is all installed. Now I have a question on GRUB, can I set it up so that if it waits for 15 secs it autoloads XP?

I have a belkin wireless adapter, can that run on ubuntu? (should have asked this first)

Thanks

Ok, it is all installed. Now I have a question on GRUB, can I set it up so that if it waits for 15 secs it autoloads XP?
    execute this
    Code:
    gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    look for line timeout and set its value to 15. count 'title' lines and set default value to Windows title line number - 1. let say Windows title line is 5th, set default value to 4.

I have a belkin wireless adapter, can that run on ubuntu? (should have asked this first)
    i dont know much about it. i suggest you to start a new thread in Wireless Internet Forum.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast