Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two different difficulties with grub and booting and this post is about the second one. I've developed the hobby of trying out different Linux distros, and so my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Only Kubuntu stops GRUB Error 15

I have two different difficulties with grub and booting and this post is about the second one. I've developed the hobby of trying out different Linux distros, and so my machine is quite multi-boot.

My problem is that if I don't use the GRUB from my installation of Kubuntu, nothing boots. I've become quite proficient at GRUB and the problem is not simply me not coding GRUB correctly. I get GRUB error 15 which means that the kernel is being found. Again, my code is fine. Something else is going on. It happens for both ext3 files systems and reifers files system. My motherboard is a Gigabyte 965P is the only other useful information that I can think of.

I would like to get rid of Kubuntu, because I find Debian based distros insipid. I am of course deeply grateful for all the work people have put into Debian based distros and how they have improve all of LInux, so don't be annoyed at me for what is purely a matter of taste. And after all that is the great thing about LInuxes--we can all find one that reflect our taste!

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of Kubuntu?

i am not getting it. why dont you install Debian's GRUB in MBR? it will remove Kubuntu's GRUB and you can delete/format Kubuntu partitions.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    It's an unusual problem, and so not "getting it" is perhaps the right response at first. Also, I should have explained further, by giving an example:

I wish to boot my computer from my partition that contains frugalware. I work as root. I copy the menu.lst file that works with Kubuntu to the /boot/grub directory of the frugalware install and edit the color scheme, so I'll know that my efforts to boot from the frugalware install worked. At the command line, I type
    grub

Grub probes my harddrives. After it finishes, I type root(hd0,2)
    as my frugalware install in on the third partition of the first hard disk. I then type
    setup (hd,0)

and then
    quit

When I reboot, the new color scheme proves I'm booting from the frugalware install. However, when I try to start any non-Debian based operating system, they won't boot. I get grub error 15. However, Kubuntu and Musix, another Debian based operating system start fine.

I suppose my questions ultimately are what can cause grub to incorrectly return error 15, and what can I do about it?

Error 15 means, GRUB is looking into wrong partition, wrong path.
    post the contents of menu.lst file and name of files stored in /boot folder of non-debian distro.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First