Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Not being redundant, I just wanted to make sure that you didn't see that menu. Normally you don't see OS loading errors occur until you try to load the OS. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Not being redundant, I just wanted to make sure that you didn't see that menu.
    Normally you don't see OS loading errors occur until you try to load the OS.
    So, I thought you were seeing the menu where you got to choose.
    Sorry for my misunderstanding.
    If this is happening with multiple distros, where you don't even get a chance to make a choice whether to boot a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel or do a memtest86, then you definitely have a hardware problem.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Banned

ok

Quote Originally Posted by budman7 View Post
    Not being redundant, I just wanted to make sure that you didn't see that menu.
    Normally you don't see OS loading errors occur until you try to load the OS.
    So, I thought you were seeing the menu where you got to choose.
    Sorry for my misunderstanding.
    If this is happening with multiple distros, where you don't even get a chance to make a choice whether to boot a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel or do a memtest86, then you definitely have a hardware problem.
    well ok i understanding the part about makin sure, and also on ubuntu it said try a bios update, which i have no idea how to perform. however i know i need the model of the chipset for intel update but...i took the program off there site that tells the model and it said cannot be found....any help? lol and also it would be helpful if ne1 can take a pic to show where it is located on the motherboard itself ty

Banned

more info on my bios :)

perhaps more information can help you guys help me
    AMIBIOS Motherboard Manufacturer Identification
    Version 1.4 (01/12/2004) Copyright 2003 American Megatrends, Inc.

This file has recorded information useful in identifying the manufacturer
    of this motherboard. The information is listed below:

ALERT: This BIOS has been identified as NEC BIOS!
    Please contact NEC for motherboard support ... NEC Global

NO STANDARD AMIBIOS IDENTIFICATION STRING DETECTED. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT AMI TECH SUPPORT CONCERNING THIS PRODUCT.

For more information on upgrading your BIOS go to AMIBIOS Support
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SMBIOS info:
    Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
    Product Name : ORLANDO
    Version : AA660910-402
    Serial Number: IMOR62903565

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AMIDIAG Suite tests and diagnoses every hardware subsystem on your PC!
    A professional tool for developers, manufacturers and technicians.
    Go to AMIDiag - Industry Standard PC Diagnostics for more information on AMIDiag.

Banned

ne1????

so noone can help me? lol i got it up and on the internet but i kinda want xp on it any help?

Banned

any help????????

i still cant get linux on the packard bell and its not shown on their website, any help?, i really wanna keep it and get linux on it if theres a way, i currently have windows 98 on it still, any idea what i can do? like a low level linux? like uihhhh a 1.* version kernal or something?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2