Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an 80g HD that has LinuxMint installed (ext3 format). I've got it set up like I want it (great distro, btw). Now, I'd like to set up winxp ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Add WinXP to linux for dual boot

I have an 80g HD that has LinuxMint installed (ext3 format). I've got it set up like I want it (great distro, btw). Now, I'd like to set up winxp on my slave 250g HD, but when I try it says it needs to install some startup files onto my master 80g and that it doesn't have a windows compatible partition (obviously), so my question is: Is there a way around this somehow without wiping out my LinuxMint? My goal is to have dual boot winxp and linux. Linux on my 80g HD, winxp on my 250g HD.

Would love not to have windows at all, but gaming (Sims 2 and Star Wars Empire at War) still not the best in linux. And I have kids to please. haha

Jen

no need to re-install Windows or Linux. if both harddisks are booting up separately then it easy to setup dual boot.
    plug-in Windows Harddisk as slave and boot up Linux. open Terminal/Konsole and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

not reinstalling.

I'm not RE-installing windows. I'm installing a fresh copy. It doesn't really matter. I decided to go ahead and wipe out my linux. I'll install winxp on the 80 and linux on the 250. Sometimes a fresh start feels good anyway.

Jen

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    as i suggested earlier, it wasn't necessary to re-install Linux either.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Thx neway

After consideration, I really wanted the larger drive to hold my linux since it's my primary OS and I do video editing etc with it. I'm only gonna be putting 2 games on the winxp hd. I'm fine now. Plus I had a ton of junk already in my linux ,wanted to "purge".

Neway, got it all back up and running perty-like. So thank anyway. I'll file your suggestion away for another time.

Jen