Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here's my story, I have an old compaq laptop, it has a bad floppy drive and the BIOS doesn't support booting off CDs, but the cd drive does work. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Laptop, no cd, no floppy

Here's my story, I have an old compaq laptop, it has a bad floppy drive and the BIOS doesn't support booting off CDs, but the cd drive does work. I really just need to install GRUB on the hard disk I know what to do from there, problem is I can't do anything to the hard drive locally, no OS on it. I do have an IDE to USB adapter, and a computer with an install of DSL. I have tried installing GRUB onto the laptop hard drive via the usb adapter from the DSL box, but all I get when I put the hard drive back in the laptop is
    Code:
    GRUB _
    (thats a blinking cursor) obviously here I have no input ablity, so if you want more info let me know, if you have any ideas it would be a big help. I apologize for leaving out important information right off the bat, I tend to do that alot. But thanks in advance for the help!

You might install an OS on it if you install the drive into another computer.