Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear Sir, I Have a two PC Both of us Cyrix C3 800A Mhz one is runing Via Chipset Motherboard & one is Sis 630 Chipset Motherboard. I am Intalling ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Installation

Dear Sir,

I Have a two PC Both of us Cyrix C3 800A Mhz one is runing Via Chipset Motherboard & one is Sis 630 Chipset Motherboard. I am Intalling a Redhat Linux 9.0 its Intalled Properly but its runing the Text Mode not grapical mode what's Prob for that Plz Help me.

Ashwani,
    have a look at your logs
    Code:
    tail --lines 40 /var/logs/messages
    and
    tail --lines 40 /var/logs/XFree.0.log
    or is it XFree.log.0 , have a look and you'll see (ls /var/log/X*)
    If there seems to be no problems try (as the root user) :-
    Code:
    startx
    If that works (use Ctrl Alt Backspace to kill X) try
    Code:
    telinit 3
           then press enter
    telinit 5
    If that works change the /etc/inittab to have a default of 5 rather than 3 (search in this site for exact instructions).

If your logs show you some error message, post thgem here for us to look at.

have fun
    Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    hey Nerderello , would you pleasee explain your steps ?
    I have no problems with my GUI but i want to know more about troubleshooting and fixing ..
    i read once that if you no GUI , then directly change the /etc/initab or there is a problem with the X configuration !

what i want from you is to tell me where i can learn what you wrote or what the subject about ?

thank you in advance

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussain
    hey Nerderello , would you pleasee explain your steps ?
    I have no problems with my GUI but i want to know more about troubleshooting and fixing ..
    i read once that if you no GUI , then directly change the /etc/initab or there is a problem with the X configuration !

what i want from you is to tell me where i can learn what you wrote or what the subject about ?

thank you in advance
    inittab is the file that describes which runlevel to be set by the system and the scripts to run for the System Initialization.
    NEVER stop/pause Journey of Learning -Travelling Soldier ( Me )

the "tail" command allows you to look at the tial end of a long file (such as a log - by the way, I got the path name wrong [I'm at a NT PC in my local library at the moment so couldn't check], it should by /var/log [ie. no "s" on the log part])

The telinit command allws you to "force" a particular run level (for more information on run levels, do a search in http://www.google.com/linux on run levels) to happen on your Linux PC. So telinit 3 will force the text only run level and telinit 5 will, hopefully, force the graphics run level [note. I find that if, from a text only PC, I enter the "5" telinit, nothing happens. you need first to do the "3" then the "5"].

To make all of that happen automagically at boot up, you need to have a look at your /etc/inittab file. This holds a lot of the initialization commands, and what to run at each run level. It is in here (near the bottom) that you will need to change the default run level from 3 to 5, so that you will be put into the graphics mode/run level (5) at boot up.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS