Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using Red Hat 9 on my second hard drive with a WinXP Pro on my first drive and after they stopped updating RH9 I decided to try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    sam
    Just Joined!

Fedora install killed my boot up

I have been using Red Hat 9 on my second hard drive with a WinXP Pro on my first drive and after they stopped updating RH9 I decided to try Fedora. I got the Fedora 2 Test 3 and made a third partition on my second hard drive with 5gb for Red Hat, 5gb for Fedora and 10gb for my Win swap/temp files. The graphic installation crashed and had me save this file called anacdump.txt to disk which is 44kb. I get it installed in the text mode and now when I boot from hard drive #2 I get this plain prompt grub> It says to use tab for a list of commands and I have tried all I can find with no results. My boot disk Red Hat 9 made starts out booting then says "Cannot boot insert another disk". I've run rescue from the Fedora CD, recreated the boot loader several times and still get stuck on the grub> prompt. I tried to reinstall Red hat and now it says it can't read hdg4. The boot disk tries to boot to hdg3 and fails.
    I get an error that the partition table is wrong. Couild Windows XP Pro with SP2 RC1 have wrecked my partition table when I did the partitioning of the drive to make room for Fedora?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Just Joined!
    No i highly doubt WinXP touched the MBR (well not a SP) I would attempt to boot back into a Fedora CD and attempt a second installation and see what happens. In some cases I am used to myself having the X server crash on installation attempts, so just try it again, and see what happens. If that doesn't work, you could always try installing Red Hat on the Fedora partitions you made for the time. And, finally, if you really want to, we can go ahead and manually fix it which shouldn't be *too* diffifcult.

Just Joined!
    try this one:
    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00908.html

that should solve your problem.

(just for the short information - fedora has set your hd heads from xx to 16 - making it pretty much impossible for you to boot until you reset it. for more information check the above posting)

Just Joined!
    that could also work, but if you really wanted to you could manually reinstall grub and have it probably working properly again. Also, i'd probably just redo your partition/filesystem scheme just in case of any corruptness (like switching the hd heads to 16)

Just Joined!
    ah well I've worked with exactly this problem and found no other way of fixing it than using sfdisk - I've worked for more than 3 hours on it and it was n't able to fix anything.

sam
    Just Joined!
    Thank you all for the help. I tried the fdisk -l and a force with my parameters to no avail. I still get the "Unable to align partition properly" error. I don't really have any more than a few passwords and my web favorites for linux on my Red Hat and I can't get to them with Knoppix. I don't know how to set my permissions. I'm using the Knoppix Live CD and can see the partitions just can't get to the files. Looks like fdisk and bye bye passwords.

Thanks again

1) read the tutorial section, I have just updated the solving boot problems tutorial (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19999 )

2) be aware that Fedora has a problem with some hard disks. I had to add the hda = .... (see above tutorial) at the Linux boot prompt to make it work with my first (/dev/hda) disk.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

sam
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help. I read the tutorial and was excited and ready to recover my linux.
    As usual my linux never does what the commands are supposed to.
    At the prompt with either Red Hat 9 or Fedora 2 rescue CD I enter

find /boot/grub/stage1
    and on the next line I get
    /boot/grub/stage1
    all by itself. No mention of hdx,x.

If I enter find /grub/stage1 I get "No file or directory" returned. It's so frustrating to see everything there through Knoppix and not be able to get there. I thought maybe I just couldn't run Red hat 9 and Fedora together. Red Hat was so amazing through installation that it made me a trustworthy fool and now I have lost not just one but two linux distros. I can't figure out why my recovery 3.5" won't boot me up at least to Red Hat.

I haven't gave up yet but the deadly fdisk is looming closer and closer.

Thanks again for all the help.

sam
    Just Joined!
    While I've been waiting for some guidance I decided to search the find command parameters list. I can't find anything about disk geometry. What am I missing?

sam
    Just Joined!
    I decided to try installing RH9 on the Fedora partition and it decided to stuff grub on my first hard drive with my WinXP. Luckily I got it back with fdisk /mbr. I'm dying here!