Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a small problem with my computer and here's how the story goes: I did have Windows ME and it was messing up, so my brother formatted the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installation questions....complete newb

Hello,

I have a small problem with my computer and here's how the story goes:

I did have Windows ME and it was messing up, so my brother formatted the hard drive and wiped everything off of our comp. We realized after this, we didn't have the installation cds because the computer came from Wal-Mart and Windows ME was already loaded on this comp plus our cd-rom isn't working. So we played around with it some, and now it will recognize the floppy and the c: drives. When I start it up, I can hit F1 to enter setup, or just let it run and then it brings up a message saying "No operating system found." My question is this: Can I install some distrobution of Linux from the floppy drive or do I need to get another hard drive and Cd-Rom drive. Also, This computer has an intel processor which I don't want to have to open the case since this computer is like 3 or 4 years old. I wanted to learn Linux because I am planning on taking a Linux A+ certification class online this upcoming fall. I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance,
    Brent

If you have net access with that computer, then you should be able to install via a floppy/net combo. I've never tried it, but it's possible.

You can install Debian Linux with a few floppy diskettes if you have the "supported" network card.
    That's from the Debian site. So just pick a distro and check out their floppy installation options.

If that doesn't work, get a new CDROM.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    how can you have a network connection if you don't have a operating system to configure it? also, I have tried doing the rescue disk to see if my comp would boot it but it shows: remove disk or other media and press enter to restart and when i remove the floppy it says invalid system disk...i do have an exernal cd-rom/cd-rw drive that can be connected via the usb port...ido anyone know if that would work?

thanks again.

You'd have to check in the BIOS. If you have a newer motherboard, then it may boot from USB.

how can you have a network connection if you don't have a operating system to configure it?
    If you have a connection like a LAN, cable or DSL (non-dialup), then you shouldn't have a problem if you can get a bootable installation floppy. The specifics will be set up when you boot from the floppy.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I tried using the Debian distrobution since it's the only one that can, I think, be fully loaded through floppies. I have gotten a free operating system to work through the Ram drive. Here's the url to it: http://www.menuetos.org/www/eng/info.htm I found this by searching on the web for operating systems that will fit on a floppy. It runs and I can connect to the internet. I just need to know where, if I can download using that operating system, an executable distrobution of Linux, one preferable that will run Gnome. If anyone can help with this new situation, thanks in advance. And thank you sarumont for helping me so far. I wish I could return the favor.

Brent

Linux Enthusiast
    I've heard that Fedora Core 2 can be installed via the web... Also, if you have an external cd-rom, use it if possible.