Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having a problem booting my machine. When grub tries to boot, it gives me an error 17 every time. Here's my main problem: I am using grub to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Grub Loader error 17

I am having a problem booting my machine. When grub tries to boot, it gives me an error 17 every time. Here's my main problem: I am using grub to dual boot to either MEPIS 6 or Windows XP.
    I know the problem is with the XP partition, since I got some type of virus which was able to get around my ZA Internet Security Suite. However, in order to address that problem, I have to be able to open XP in Safe Mode. Is there a way to disable grub temporarily and go directly into XP? Then I can get rid of my virus(es) and re-enable grub. Or, better still, load a newer version of MEPIS, since the one I have is at least 2 years old.

Boot from the windows cd and type "r" in order to get the recovery console. Then type "fixmbr".
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for your help. I'm well on my way to getting this resolved. I though I had to disable grub, but this had that same effect.
    One more question, if I may - do I now run my MEPIS live cd to restore grub? Thanks in advance for your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Boot up your live cd and type as root in the console: grub-install /dev/hda or grub-install /dev/sda according to your disc.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041