Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wanted to try installing the SUSE-10.2 through the internet this weekend and have downloaded the .iso image. However, i wanted to try to boot my system through my USB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Booting through a USB stick

I wanted to try installing the SUSE-10.2 through the internet this weekend and have downloaded the .iso image. However, i wanted to try to boot my system through my USB stick. I downloaded the software that is required to make my stick bootable, and also checked with my BIOS. There is a section in the advance configurations, which reads

USB-boot [Enabled ]

However, in the boot-priority section, the USB drive's name does not show up. What should i do to set my USB drive as the first boot drive?

Just Joined!

Cool USB = hard-drive

Because a FAT16 or FAT32 File-system is created on your USB-stick, I guess it would be recognized as a hdd.
    So try to set your BIOS to boot from hard-disk.
    Of course you also have to indicate that the partition on your USB is active
    and all other partitions on other hdd's may not be set as active.That way
    your box knows where to boot from.

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    The MBR of a bootable device is of the size of 512 bytes. I don't think normal USB sticks can be formatted in such a way....
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yes, you can boot from a usb stick.

Your drive's name won't show up in the boot priority list, just types of devices. Move the USB priority to the top, then reboot with the usb stick in.