Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, i am a new linux user and recently decided to switch over to the Linux OS, unfortuantely i need some great deal of help, i own a following ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

HELP NEEDED INSTALLING Mandriva powerpack + 2007

Hi all,

i am a new linux user and recently decided to switch over to the Linux OS, unfortuantely i need some great deal of help, i own a following laptop and require the following suggestions, hints, help, etc if at no trouble to you great linux users and probies out their:

LAPTOP: -
    • SONY Vaio VGN-SZ4XWN/C

OS Currently installed : -
    • Windows Vista

Owned Software: -
    • Norton Partition Magic 8.0
    • CodeWaevers CrossOver Pro

Ok what i would like to know is i currently want to keep my windows vista OS, but would like to be able to dual boot both vista and mandriva pp+ 2007, it is stated i need to partion my hard-drive, even though i have a useful programme as stated above, i would need some help based with : -

whats the easiest way to do this?

how much partioning space i would need to create for mandriva?

how do/would i need to dual boot?

what option after creting my partion would i need to select from the mandriva installtion screen based with partioning?

do i have to install mandirva on the windows vista partition? if so what are the affects of this and will it mess up my laptop in any way?

based with this long set of dawnting questions i really need to know this and would greatly accept all your Linux support, again i do appologise for this long thourough asking list but again i am a new user.

please help me i am really
    Last edited by kiyoshi; 05-31-2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: had posted double thread all ok now thanx

Hi !

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

Quote Originally Posted by kiyoshi
    whats the easiest way to do this?
    download GParted LiveCD, boot from it and shrink existing Partitions to create space for Mandriva. GParted is one of the best Partition Manager. Partition Magic is good too but it doesn't use Linux native size units and confuses both, Linux and Windows.
    how much partioning space i would need to create for mandriva?
    it depends on you. 6-8GB Minimum. 10GB recommended.
    how do i need to dual boot?
    you have to do Nothing. All Linux distros including Mandriva set up Dual Boot by default. dont change any option in Boot Loader section during installation.
    Installer will install GRUB boot loader and you will have choice to boot either OS at startup.
    what option after creting my partion would i need to select from the mandriva installtion screen based with partioning?
    do i have to install mandirva on the windows vista partition? if so what are the affects of this and will it mess up my laptop in any way?
    shrink existing Partition and leave space as Free/Unpartitioned. Select Free/Unpartitioned space in Partition Section during installation and Installer will create/format partition for you.

Good Luck !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

AHHHHH... i seee thanx devils_casper, i will keep you informed of how it all goes, in this thread just give me a few hours and i'll reply back with or if any problems encountered, afterall i am 14 years old not bad start for a newbie linux user

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ok i have now installed mandriva PP on my desktop with 2 hardrives and botts ok ect, but during installation of my linux os i had a powerfailure, so had to re-install linux, i had chosen to upgrade as i thought it may continue with the process, so it did, but never let me create my user details ect, (thats when the pwercut had happened just as i was about to create a user name and password), i try to login in but "login failed" appears and impossible to longin now?? can someone please help me out i dont know what to do

i would suggest you to re-install. you can fix logging problem but you might face other problems later on.

if i do re-install what do i do?

do i install as updgrade or new installation?

if new do i get same options as before, since first time boot?

will it damage my current boot sequence MBR record?

thankx

select new installation.
    simplest way is, boot up from GParted LiveCD again and delete Linux Partitions. install Mandriva on free space.
    OR select existing Linux Partitions in Partition Section during Installation.

in both ways, installer will re-install Boot Loader and setup Dual Boot.

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    select new installation.
    simplest way is, boot up from GParted LiveCD again and delete Linux Partitions. install Mandriva on free space.
    OR select existing Linux Partitions in Partition Section during Installation.

in both ways, installer will re-install Boot Loader and setup Dual Boot.
    THANKYOU devils_casper WORKED ALL THANKX TO YOU IF ANY MORE PROBLEMS I WILL BE IN TOUCH ONCE AGAIN THANKYOU

you are Welcome !