Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've cleaned out my machine and installed Fedora 2. Got all excited, but things are getting wierd fast. I decided to run apt-get to update the system. Downloaded and tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Limited installation with Fedora 2

I've cleaned out my machine and installed Fedora 2. Got all excited, but things are getting wierd fast. I decided to run apt-get to update the system. Downloaded and tried to install it and it tells me:

[michael@scout michael]$ rpm -ihv apt-0.5.15cnc6-0.1.fc1.fr.i386.rpm
    warning: apt-0.5.15cnc6-0.1.fc1.fr.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID e42d547b
    error: Failed dependencies:
    librpm-4.2.so is needed by apt-0.5.15cnc6-0.1.fc1.fr
    librpmdb-4.2.so is needed by apt-0.5.15cnc6-0.1.fc1.fr
    librpmio-4.2.so is needed by apt-0.5.15cnc6-0.1.fc1.fr

So I tried to download rpm-4.2.1-0.30.i386.rpm. Tried to install that and it says:
    [michael@scout michael]$ rpm -ihv rpm-4.2.1-0.30.i386.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    popt = 1.8.1 is needed by rpm-4.2.1-0.30

So I try to install popt and it says that it confllicts with version 1.9 that's installed. WTF?

So I assume this is what they call dependancy hell. Any suggestions?

Just Joined!
    *shudder* yes, you've reached RPM dependancy hell. It gets cute when its with source too...

Um if i'm not mistaken FC2 comes with Apt? I know it comes with yum, which i heard is better actually, you may want to look into that for a built in working solution, avoidng that whole problem in general. Also bare in mind the binary packages you seem to have are FC1 specific, not FC2. That may make the big difference.

Just Joined!
    I couldn't find FC2 versions of any of them. THat's why I tried the FC1 version. Yeah, sucks. Makes me dislike booting into Linux now, hopefully I'll get around to reinstalling FC1 which worked after installation. I've installed FC2 7 times now with varying results, this being the best.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    now hold on for a moment. Like i said, doesn't FC2 come with YUM? YUM as far as i've read is just as good, if not better than Apt. Also, did you check the installation cd's for the packages? there is a good chance they may very well be on there if you REALLY want apt.

Update- Here's another link for you to try out:

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

that gives you good FC2 rpm's

Just Joined!
    I installed off the DVD. Installs great, but things just don't work. If I double click an RPM, it asks me what I want to use to open it as an example.

Linux User
    Take a look at this link to a very good FC1/2 faq.
    http://www.fedorafaq.org/

What you want to look at is the section "How do I install software for Fedora? (How to use yum or an RPM)". It gives a link to yum (although it is probably already on your machine, do something like "which yum". It should be in the directory /usr/bin/yum). There is also a provided yum.conf file that will get you started with some good repositories. Just make a back up of /etc/yum.conf so you can go back if you want to, then write the provided one to /etc and do a "yum update" from a terminal.
    http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

It's also worth the time to read through the rest as it will cover a lot of stuff.

And if you download a rpm file, just open a terminal and go to the directory where you downloaded the rpm file and type "rmp -Uvh whatever.rpm". The double clicking thing isn't working perfectly right now. Do a google search on "rpm commands" there's only a few and it's really not that bad.

Just Joined!
    yes you have to navigate to a specific area to use the software installation managers. did you try opening a prompt and typing "apt-get upgrade"? Also after that you may wanna do "apt-get update" and then "apt-get install synaptic" so you can have a good GUI to use.