Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I want to install Ubuntu on a windows machine, the thing is that both my two hd have windows copies installed. My C: drive has windows 2000 and my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu Installation no different partition...

Hello. I want to install Ubuntu on a windows machine, the thing is that both my two hd have windows copies installed. My C: drive has windows 2000 and my D: drive has windows xp. Which drive should I partition? By the way, my c: drive is an ide (ntfs) and my d: drive is a sata(ntfs). Would someone please help me with this one? Thanks

Hi ted.stevens,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

Install Ubuntu in Primary Harddisk ( C: drive ). it will be a bit tricky to install Ubuntu in Secondary disk. Linux Boot Loader ( GRUB ) doesn't work properly in secondary disks sometimes.

free up some space ( atleast 6 GB) for Ubuntu and dont create partition. leave space as Unpartitioned/free. select Unpartitioned/Free space in Partition Section during installation. installer will create and format partitions in free space itself. Dual boot is default. installer will install GRUB and setup dual boot for you.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Hi ted.stevens,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

Install Ubuntu in Primary Harddisk ( C: drive ). it will be a bit tricky to install Ubuntu in Secondary disk. Linux Boot Loader ( GRUB ) doesn't work properly in secondary disks sometimes.

free up some space ( atleast 6 GB) for Ubuntu and dont create partition. leave space as Unpartitioned/free. select Unpartitioned/Free space in Partition Section during installation. installer will create and format partitions in free space itself. Dual boot is default. installer will install GRUB and setup dual boot for you.
    Thanks, but will this linux dual boot thing mess up my dual boot with my window partitions? Currently I have a choice between my windows 2000 and xp...will I then be still be able to boot to those as well?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux will not mess up with existing dual boot setup.
    GRUB Menu will appear at startup with two options

Ubuntu and Windows.

Windows option will pop up Windows Boot Loader and you will have choice to boot up Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    To avoid confusions, if possible, could you post your current partition information here? Then maybe some one might be able to recommend an exact partition configuration for you.