Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I've been using Windows and Linux together with no problems at all for a while.. but recently I got a crappy new hard drive and decided to reformat ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Some GRUB problems.. :(

Hi everyone,

I've been using Windows and Linux together with no problems at all for a while.. but recently I got a crappy new hard drive and decided to reformat everything and put mepis on the crappy new hard drive..
    So after installation, when I tried booting I got the word GRUB on a black screen.. no errors, nothing.. just GRUB.

(Oh, the primary one is a SATA, with Win XP on sda1.. the crappy one is an IDE setup as a slave to my CD drive.. it comes up as hdd, and it comes up as disk0 (before the windows disk) in windows.. weird..)
    Anyway I figure you can't install GRUB to the MBR if you're using two hard drives and Windows is on the primary one... something like that?

So I've got a couple of simple questions:

1) Why can't I install GRUB wherever I want?

2) Where should I install GRUB, so that it will dual boot both operating systems, and ALSO so that should I remove the linux drive, Windows would still be capable of booting itself?

3) Would it make sense to install GRUB onto a floppy? Then when I need to use GRUB to boot either system I can boot from the floppy.. otherwise, Windows will boot as normal.. would this work? Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks a lot for any help! You guys rule..

1) Why can't I install GRUB wherever I want?
    you can install GRUB anywhere you want. in MBR of Windows disk or Linux disk or boot sector of / partition of Linux disk. if you install GRUB in MBR of Windows disk, you have to keep both disks plugged-in all the time. Windows wont boot without Linux Disk.

2) Where should I install GRUB, so that it will dual boot both operating systems, and ALSO so that should I remove the linux drive, Windows would still be capable of booting itself?
    Plug-in Linux Disk as Primary Master and Windows disk as Slave. install GRUB in the MBR of Linux Disk and add an entry of Windows in menu.lst file. both disks will be bootable separately.
    3) Would it make sense to install GRUB onto a floppy? Then when I need to use GRUB to boot either system I can boot from the floppy.. otherwise, Windows will boot as normal.. would this work? Am I misunderstanding something?
    you can do that but you can't rely on Floppies all the time. Floppies dont last for Long time. try Smart Boot Manager CD.

plug-in Li
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately I will not be able to change the master/slave designation for physical reasons. So what is my best option then?

I am unfamiliar with Smart Boot Manager.. I would rather do it manually, as I would probably learn more during the process..

So if I install it to the boot sector of the linux drive, then will it work?
    And if I take out the linux drive, will Windows boot?

Cheers,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I am unfamiliar with Smart Boot Manager.. I would rather do it manually, as I would probably learn more during the process..
    Smart Boot Manager reads MBR of all disks plugged in and give choice to boot up any OS.
    So if I install it to the boot sector of the linux drive, then will it work?
    And if I take out the linux drive, will Windows boot?
    yes. that will work and Windows will boot up fine without Linux Disk. you have to edit boot.ini file to add an entry of Linux.
    check this post.

OK, I've tried installing GRUB and LILO to a floppy.. and it just won't work for some reason... I've tried it numerous times (with 2 distros).. the floppy is formatted beforehand ofcourse..

When I install LILO to the floppy, it just says "L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 ...... " for about half the screen and doesn't boot up.
    When I install GRUB to the floppy it just says "GRUB" and does nothing either..

I tried installing both LILO and GRUB to the boot sector of the partition that has linux installed.. I've tried it now with MEPIS and Vector linux.. and in both cases, it just ignores it completely and boots into Windows..

And I don't want to mess up my MBR again.. so what do I do?

I tried installing both LILO and GRUB to the boot sector of the partition that has linux installed.. I've tried it now with MEPIS and Vector linux.. and in both cases, it just ignores it completely and boots into Windows..
    you have to create an image of boot sector and edit boot.ini as i suggested earlier.
    check this post.