Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys, I am a complete newbie to linux.My frined gifted me live cds of ubuntu7.04,kubuntu 7.04 and dream linux and I got mandriva linux from another source.I am unable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question which distribution??

Hello guys,
    I am a complete newbie to linux.My frined gifted me live cds of ubuntu7.04,kubuntu 7.04 and dream linux and I got mandriva linux from another source.I am unable to decide which of them to install on my pc.I will be dual booting with windows xp.Please recommend a distro to me using which I would be able to view files in my windows partition.
    Also, does a live cd show all the software that are included in the cd or only a few?
    PLease help me out !!!!

Hi swapnilster,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

We can't tell you which one is best for you. try all LiveCDs and decide yourself. LiveCDs show all the softwares available in LiveCD and you can download and install tons of softwares from internet after installation.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thank you for your help.Can you advise me on dual booting with windows xp?I don't want to lose any data on my windows partition
    This is how my hard disk is partitioned
    A 20 gb FAT32 primary partition
    a 20 Gb FAT32 and a 29 Gb NTFS extended partitions/logical drives
    a 7.45 Gb healthy unknown partition
    Can you tell me how to increase\decrease the size of a partition without affecting the contents?
    Can you also tell me how to access files on my windows partition through linux?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi swapnilster,

If you are looking for a program that will change the size of partitions that runs in Linux, I would suggest "gparted". You can boot from a live CD like Knoppix and run it. Be very carefull as this is like nuclear energy: you have to know how to use it, and even if you use it properly it can explode with catastrofic results!

To access your window$ partitions you will have to mount them. Try:

man mount
    ( man <command> is your friend. It will give you details about the command, its arguments, possible pitfalls and bugs etc...)

You must understand how Linux is treating the file system. Bear in mind that NTFS support still is beta and buggy! I would mount ONLY the FAT32 partitions (yet)!!! Some major distributions like Ubuntu and Fedora Core would automaticaly mount these partitions for you and would take care of the dual boot.

Keep going my friend!

I found files from my windows partition in my live session of ubuntu 7.04 but not in kubuntu 7.04
    Btw I am not finding beryl in kubuntu 7.04.Please help me1!!!
    BTW once more,I am already finding linux better than windows xp but for the file system.But as they say all in good time