Find the answer to your Linux question:
not sure of what response i will get from this but here goes....................... for the past week i have been trying several linux distros on my dell optiplex gx520, with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cant install most distros on dell desktop

not sure of what response i will get from this but here goes....................... for the past week i have been trying several linux distros on my dell optiplex gx520, with no success except ubunto with vesa mode, there are several reasons i believe but i am not sure,
    1. when boot from cd the system does not respond to usb keyboard ( powered up but no key strokes recorded)
    2. will not pick up my pci nvidia geforce fx5200 graphic card( monitor says out of range )

this does not happen to all distros, but each ( about 6 tried ) has a combination of these problems.

i know this sounds gobbly de gook, but unless i write all the distros tried and probs with each(long, very long thread) it is the easiest way to describe

regards for any help in advance

system specs: dell optiplex gx520, 2 sata drives 1 ide, nvidia geforce fx5200 graphic pci, celeron d 2.8 ghz, 512 ddr2 ram, lg dvd writer, dell usb keyboard and mouse (no ps2 Sockets)

Hi and Welcome !

for USB KeyBoard, toggle Legacy USB Support in BIOS.
    Installers of most of distros are not configuring your Graphics Card. install any Linux Distro in Text Mode. its easy to fix Graphics Problem easily. you can switch to "vesa" driver after installation. it will fix Graphics Problem but it doesn't support 3D. you have to install nVidia Driver for that.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First