Find the answer to your Linux question:
have looked through foums for a bit but im rather panicky about possibly killing my box so forgive me if i have overlooked the soloution okay i have two hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB probs

have looked through foums for a bit but im rather panicky about possibly killing my box so forgive me if i have overlooked the soloution

okay i have two hard drives, the master is divided into two partitions:

C: has windows XP installed
    D: is Compaq system restore parition

Slave has fedora on it!

when i installed fedora i asked it to put GRUB on the MBR on the master drive.

when i boot PC up comes grub with two choices one is Fedora as expected and the other is simply called "other". When selecting fedora it loads up perfectly and i am having lots of fun with it!!

however when i select "other" it goes into Compaq system restore!!

i thought maybe GRUB was loading whatever was on my restore partition and not what is on partition C i.e. windows XP
    is this assumption correct?

how can i fix this prob!

Thank you

Just Joined!

check your grub.conf file

Check your grub.conf file. Under title other it should have
    Code:
            rootnoverify (hd0,0)
            chainloader +1
    (hd0,0) is the first partition on the first drive or C in windows langauge. If you have (hd0,1) that would explain your problem and you can change it to (hd0,0). If you have something else then you have a bigger problem.

Just Joined!
    thanks!

i let it go into system restore last night because it had the option to biit into windows without actualy restoring so i did that, now when i boot it up it wont even go to grub anymore just straight to windows, im guessing it did what it thought was restoring the boot loader anyway!

gonna try getting into linux on a boot disc and if that dont work i will re-install and try what you suggested

thanks very much

Just Joined!
    okay tried what you said, the grub file thingy said what u siad it should already :S

this is exactly what it says :

#boot=/dev/hda
    default =1
    timeout =10
    splashimage = (hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.g2
    title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /vm linuz -2.6.5-1.358 ro root = LABEL/rhgb quiet
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

if anybody can see why this isnt working please let me know!
    i explaind in original post my setup etc!!
    please help lol!

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by talky_toaster
    thanks!

i let it go into system restore last night because it had the option to biit into windows without actualy restoring so i did that, now when i boot it up it wont even go to grub anymore just straight to windows, im guessing it did what it thought was restoring the boot loader anyway!

gonna try getting into linux on a boot disc and if that dont work i will re-install and try what you suggested

thanks very much
    boot with linux cd,
    select rescue at boot prompt and then
    Code:
    # grub-install /dev/hda
    this will restore your GRUB
    NEVER stop/pause Journey of Learning -Travelling Soldier ( Me )

your windows should load okay (assuming that windows lives on the first partition or the first hard disk (ie. /dev/hda1)).

Have you a file called C:\boot.ini ? And if so is this pointing at your D: drive?

I'm surprised that your linux loads without an initrd line (or have you re-compiled the kernel without one?). And I take it that the spaces shown are not in the real thing.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!

dual boot using grub (fedora and windows)

oh... there is a simple solution. i had pretty much the same problem a week ago. i spend amost a week to resolve that problem; however, the resolution was very simple.

resolution:
    >> go to the BIOS setting before you start your OS.
    >> check you hard drives and change the type of detection the primary hd, AUTO to LBA.
    >> and save it, and reboot.

you will see your windows is working now.

this problem is that GRUB doesnot correspond with some BIOS, so it doesnt not get the right partition table. which means it skips the first /dev/hda1 --> windows partition(LBA). GRUB starts to read the table from the second partition, /dev/hda2 or /dev/hdb1--> might be /boot of your linux distribution.

try it. you do not need to reinstall any of your OSs.