Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Still has the same error.. Mabye Ive missed something. Let me go thrue everything again....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Still has the same error.. Mabye Ive missed something. Let me go thrue everything again.

Just Joined!
    (hd1) /dev/sda
    (hd0) /dev/sdb

Just Joined!
    ok yeh Ive got everything exactly like you have out it... hmm not sure whats going on.

(hd1) /dev/sda
    (hd0) /dev/sdb
    edit device.map file

Code:
    (hd0)     /dev/sda
    (hd1)     /dev/sdb
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    edit device.map file

Code:
    (hd0)     /dev/sda
    (hd1)     /dev/sdb

ok still didnt work.. Ok i must have installed something wrong or didnt do my partitions right or something so I would like to start over..

This is what i want to do.

I have my labtop with a 80 gig internal gig harddrive. I want that to have windows xp on 30 gigs and xandros on the other 50 gigs. Then I have the 500 gig externel hard drive. I want it to be seperated into 4 different distros of linux. (SUSE, Fedora 5, Fedora 7, and Ubunto 7.04) Doesnt matter what order. I can do the internal harddrive by myself with windows and xandros. Just need help on installing the 4 distros in the easiest order posible. Need to know how to do the partitions and what to make them how to do the swap. I would like /home for each one I dont want to share /home. How to do the boot loader and how to insert each distro to the boot loader... I dont care what bootloader i use just as long as it will work.. I want to be able to boot to the internal Hdd without the external hdd plugged in. So i guess the boot loader will be on the mbr of the external hdd? Thanks for any help.

Just Joined!
    ok acually i was just reading thrue some of your posts and found this.

you can create a simple Windows Extended Partition using GParted LiveCD or any other Partition Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    i have Windows + 4 Linux distros installed in my test machine.
    here is the output of fdisk -l command from my test machine.

/dev/sda1 * 1 1305 10482381 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 1306 9729 67665780 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 1306 3263 15727603+ b W95 FAT32
    /dev/sda6 3264 4568 10482381 b W95 FAT32
    /dev/sda7 4569 4664 771088+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda8 4665 5708 8385898+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda9 5709 7013 10482381 83 Linux
    /dev/sda10 7014 7666 5245191 83 Linux
    /dev/sda11 7667 9102 11534638+ 83 Linux

1 Primary, 1 Extended and 7 Logical Partitions inside Extended. you can create 63 Logical Partitions in an Extended Partition.
    there is a lot of free space available in my disk and i am planning to install two more distro this weekend.

If this is posible can I install 7 different 60 gig distros on this HardDrive.. For some reason i thought you could only have 4 OS's on one disk.... How can I do this and is it very difficult?
    Last edited by devils casper; 07-04-2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: quote tags

If this is posible can I install 7 different 60 gig distros on this HardDrive.. For some reason i thought you could only have 4 OS's on one disk.... How can I do this and is it very difficult?
    yes, its possible and very easy. 60GB is too much space for a one distro. you dont need more than 10-12GB space for Desktop Machine. you should create a little big partition for data sharing.

install first Distro and install GRUB in MBR ( its default ). install second distro and this time, install GRUB in boot sector of root partition.
    open menu.lst file and add this
    Code:
    title <distro name>
    rootnoverify (hdx,y)
    chainloader +1
    x and y are disk number and partition number respectively.

do the same for all other distros.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    ok ive tried this before and i got errors on all distros besides the on installed first.. I will try it again ill let you know what it does. Thanks

Just Joined!
    ok ive decided to install FC7 first because i think fedora is what is causing all my problems. Im pretty sure just installing fedora 7 by itself on the external HDD it still wont boot. Ill let you know what happenes

Just Joined!
    ok acually FC7 installed to the external HDD and booted. When I was installing the boot loader i changed the disk order and put the external HDD first and the internal second. And changed it in the BIOS to have the external boot first and internal second. I installed the GRUB boot loader to the MBR of the external HDD and everything booted up fine. I went ahead and changed the grub.conf file to say .

Im going to make the root folder of FC5 to /dev/sdb5

Code:
    title Fedora Core 5
              rootoverify (hd0,5)
              chainloader +1
    i will install the bootloader to the sector of /dev/sdb5

is this correct?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast