Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering how to install a linux OS on bootcamp. I'm really a idiot at this, so ill just leave it at that. Oh, and is there a linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux on BootCamp?(mac program)

I was wondering how to install a linux OS on bootcamp. I'm really a idiot at this, so ill just leave it at that.

Oh, and is there a linux that can install a PC version of Halo?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacBook View Post
    I was wondering how to install a linux OS on bootcamp. I'm really a idiot at this, so ill just leave it at that.
    Officially, you can't install Linux with Boot Camp. It's for installing Microsoft Windows only. You're going to have to do some pretty nasty hacking to get Linux installed that way and if you are (as you say) and "idiot at this" I wouldn't recommend that as your first try using Linux.

You can play with Linux without installing it on your harddrive by simply booting your MacBook with a LiveCD of a popular distribution, such as Ubuntu.

If you want to install it your only *easy* option will probably be to install it in a virtual machine like Parallels or VMWare. Both have time trial demos available as far as I know. VMs allow you to play in a sort of sandbox that's separate from your OS X install so if something goes wrong you don't end up hosing your Mac.

The drawback to virtual machines is they're not ideal for heavy 3D such as gaming. Parallels supposedly has native 3D support in version 3 but I haven't tried it yet. As far as I know VMware does not offer any type of 3D support whatsoever.

Oh, and is there a linux that can install a PC version of Halo?
    It's not so much the distribution you need to worry about. You can only run Microsoft Windows software in Linux through the use of an emulator or on-the-fly translator like WINE or Transgaming's Cedega. Halo makes very heavy use of DirectX, Microsoft's proprietary 3D library. DirectX is notoriously buggy when you try to run it in WINE. You might have luck though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

damn

oh well. Suppose ill have to get a grasp on Windows XP home, full edition, even if i hate it.

You guys know where to get it cheap? The upgrade doesent work in bootcamp, right?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacBook View Post
    oh well. Suppose ill have to get a grasp on Windows XP home, full edition, even if i hate it.
    It's unfortunate, but if you still play a lot of PC games it's probably your best bet.

You guys know where to get it cheap? The upgrade doesent work in bootcamp, right?
    As far as I know only the full install works with Boot Camp, yes. Ebay has a few listing for XP Home Full for between $15-50USD.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants