Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, a while ago I tried to get into Linux so I installed SuSE in a dual boot with Win XP Pro, in two seperate partitions, the thing is, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help! Linux newbie, I think I screwed up my PC

Well, a while ago I tried to get into Linux so I installed SuSE in a dual boot with Win XP Pro, in two seperate partitions, the thing is, I never really used it, so I decided to use partition magic to delete the partition that contained Linux, apparently that wasn't very smart, now everytime my computer boots up all I get is a black screen with a GRUB command line, I have no idea what commands to use, or how to boot back into windows, and trying to boot from the Win XP cd or boot disk seems to be of no use, any help will be appreciated!

well if you can figure a way to boot into windows all you need to do is fix your mbr with the windows bootloader i would think the windows disk should do it and all you should have to do is go into recovery mode or something like that. well im sure there are other ppl that can help more then me
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Hi!

Although I'm no WinXP expert, can you use the "fixmbr" tool on the XP cdrom?

Good luck

Just Joined!
    When I put the WinXP cd in and try to boot from it, it says "checking your hardware configuration" for a few seconds and then it just restarts.

what you've done is delete the files (in /boot/grub.grub.conf) that grub (which lives in your hard disk's mbr) uses.

Either boot straight into Windows, as the others have suggested, or

Have a look at the grub tutorial and enter the commands that would have been in the config file (above) which will get you into WinXP, then you'll be able to do the fdisk /mbr or fixmbr commands ( the grub commands will be something like rootnoverify (hd0,0) and then chainloader +1 and then boot ).

Of course there is another way. Re-install Linux

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Ok if you do have a floppy (i think they do cd iso's?) goto http://www.bootdisk.com/ and download the windows 98 boot disk. Insert the floppy and boot the computer. After it has loaded you will be in a DOS prompt type fdisk /MBR and all will work again

Just Joined!
    Nerderello, thanks a lot, I managed to fix it using those commands.

EDIT: I'm having trouble doing the fdisk /MBR, doing it from within windows won't work, and when I try to boot up with a boot disk it just tells me to take it out and then it restarts and takes me back to the grub thing.

EDIT 2: Managed to make a new boot disk and boot from it, did fdisk /MBR and now when I try to boot up it says 'missing operating system', goddamit!

can you confirm that you did not remove WinXP (did you format or repartition?)

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    If you boot from windows XP cd, and instead of installing it, go to recovery console and type

fixmbr

it should fix how windows boots, another option is,

fixboot

this may not change the mbr, but it may do something, and it can't hurt.. I don't think.