Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im completly stumped here and am getting to the point where I wana shoot myself Ive tried four linux distros, Ubuntu, kubuntu, debian, and Fedora. For each of those distros, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant install any distro.

Im completly stumped here and am getting to the point where I wana shoot myself Ive tried four linux distros, Ubuntu, kubuntu, debian, and Fedora. For each of those distros, I get the same thing. On fedora, for example, I hit Install, and it goes to a black scrolling screen with text scrolling down very fast for about one seccond, and then stops at an area that says something about the linux kernel failing. Ive tried everything to fix this. Ive went from resetting my BIOS to putting in a different RAM stick. I was thinking it could be a hardware error, but im not sure what for. My computer is an HP with 1gb of ram, 160gb HD, nvidia GForce 6200 256mb graphics card, and a 3.0 celeron D processor. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

That's certainly odd. The fact that several distros have all given the same error would lead me to believe there's something wonky with your PC. Can you write down the error you're getting and post it here?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Sure. Here it is :

EIP : [<c041c7827>]kmap_atomic+0x2e/0x91 SS:ESP 0068:c18feef0

Kernel Panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!

There was some other stuff above that, but it was just a bunch of random numbers and stuff.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    And this only happens when you try to install, not when you're just running the LiveCD environment?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    It happens when I try to run the LiveCD too.

Just Joined!
    Dont burn your CD at a speed higher than 8x. And if you have used your rewritable CD many many times, do a full erase before for sure. I had such problems in the past. Try all writing methods (DAO, TAO, raw)

PS Maybe you need to buy a new CD...

Just Joined!
    bob i am having the same exact problem. no distro will work. i have a hp laptop with an nvidia card. after posting on multiple forums with no luck, i have pretty much concluded that hp laptops with nvidia cards hate linux. its sad, but idk if theres anything we can do. the only distro i have got to work is Knoopix, so u might wanna try that.