Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to configure my laptop as dual boot WinXP and Fedora Core 2, so I can learn to use Linux. My hard drive is 20G and only has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Configuring A Dual Boot System Question

I would like to configure my laptop as dual boot WinXP and Fedora Core 2, so I can learn to use Linux. My hard drive is 20G and only has one partition with XP currently installed. I don't want to lose any data, so I want to avoid reinstalling if possible. I have been reading info on this for about 2 weeks now, and its just not sinking in.
    I know I need to resize my NTFS hard drive, but purchasing Partition Magic is out of the question. Can anyone recommend another tool? Or does Fedora come with something that can do this for me?? The FAQ on their website is confusing and overwhelming for a newbie. I am downloading the .iso's now for Fedora. I have defragged my hard drive and used scan disk to fix any errors and hopefully move all my data to the front of the drive.
    Last question. Once I figure out how to resize my drive and create new partition(s), how many should I create and about what sizes? I have seen mixed things on this.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Just Joined!
    i think partition magic has a free trial

That should work perfectly for all you'll use it for.

for fedora, i think i remember reading that the full install is around 7Gb.
    What i would do is download partition magic, cut a 7Gb (or any size you want, but probably at least 2Gb) chunk off the end of your drive. Don't partition it as anything yet.

Run the fedora installer.
    You can let it partition (using free space) automatically.
    I generally don't like the way it does it, but i've never tried on FC, so i'm not sure how it works. I am a simple person, so i make a swap partition (about the same size as my ram), and 1 root directory '/' for the rest of the space.
    On a single user system, i don't think there's any point in creating a seperate partition for the '/home' directory.
    another option is a seperate partition for the '/boot' directory, which i don't normally do either.

**MAKE SURE YOU TELL IT TO USE FREE OR UNPARTITIONED SPACE**
    and do not let the installer "delete all partitions on this hard drive"... that would be bad thing in general.

Just Joined!
    There is free partition tools (like Fips) but they don't have all the bells and whistles of paid programs, and are sometimes hard to work with.

You can probably get a trial of Part Magic, but I don't know for sure.

The best thing to do is:

BACK UP EVERYTHING ON YOUR DRIVE YOU WANT.

use disk partitioning software like PM or fips to move your drive to the front.

Install the Linux Distro of your choice, and let it do the formatting (making sure only to format the drives or partitions it is going to be installed on

Get a boot loader like GRUB or LILLO (typo?)

and come back here and post your problems.

make sure you back up, because you'll cry when it doesn't go right (which happens a lot. happened to me )

Just Joined!
    i decided to say screw it with the dual booting business, so i bought an older laptop off eBay last night. however, this laptop is coming with windows 2000 installed on it. so when i get it and i pop in my linux install disc should i just let linux install right over top it, or do i need to wipe the drive first???

Just Joined!
    Cancel that. I figured it out.

Just Joined!

Partition sizes

Well , for 7 -8 gb for fedora.... u can give around

Make Boot of around 50 Mb i.e \boot
    4-5 Gb for Root i.e \ in ext3
    twice the amount of Ram for Swap
    Make \Var of around 500 Mb
    If u have space make \home of about 750MB-1 gb
    \tmp of around 500 Mb ....
    If u are facing space problem, don't worry about tmp,home,var,boot , they are created automatically in root .
    Also be careful while customizing the installation ...don't select unnecessary items during installation ,keep a watch on the size .

Hope this helps !
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Experience is the best way to learn ,maybe from other's experience too.

[/b]